Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Need your identification help

BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 24, 2018 9:50PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I'm posting this gold coin for your help in identifying this (purportedly ancient) example. I've got precisely zero knowledge. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2018 9:34PM

Something medieval Islamic, possibly a dinar.

Your photos should probably be rotated so the lines (of words, I believe) run from nine o'clock to three o'clock.

Go to Google Images and type in 'old Islamic gold dinar' and you will get some photographs of similar items.

Eventually somebody here will know exactly what it is, but that person is not me.

• Options

@BillDugan1959 said:
    Something medieval Islamic, possibly a dinar.

Your photos should probably be rotated so the lines (of words, I believe) run from nine o'clock to three o'clock.

Go to Google Images and type in 'old Islamic gold dinar' and you will get some photographs of similar items.

Eventually somebody here will know exactly what it is, but that person is not me.

I'm further along than 5 minutes ago... So ignorant that I'm off rotationally - like the Lincoln trolls on the CF with their "bowtie fantastics" :) - and to think, I studied Hebrew :D

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that the lines contain some kind of declaration of the faith, and run from nine o'clock to three o'clock.

I would not bet my life on that, however.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

So the ole coinoscope says Islamic states, Dirham - alMu&039 833-849 AS or Abbasid Caliphate. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

AD not AS.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    So the ole coinoscope says Islamic states, Dirham - alMu&039 833-849 AS or Abbasid Caliphate. Peace Roy

Thank you very much!