Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

What's it like collecting coins overseas?

One of our members is returning from Europe with a beautiful coin. I'm not a world traveler but I have heard stories from U.S. dealers about trips overseas to buy U.S. gold coins from banks and ancient coins from large European dealers. In the Internet age, many folks posting on CU live in different countries around the world.

When any of you that travel or live outside the U.S. have time, please tell us a little about the differences between the US and where you are or have been. Things like the quality of the coins, what is commonly seen, etc. Does the Internet keep most things such as prices and grading the same? What percentage of coins are in slabs?

Decades ago there was a big difference in the grades of coins. Enough so that dealers could buy coins in Europe and sell at a profit in the U.S. I'll bet the Internet changed that long ago.

Comments

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have visited other countries specifically looking for coins. In Europe it is my experience the business is well developed and you can find good dealers that are well established. In Latin America my experience is the opposite. It is very hard to find anything and well established dealers are very few. For me, internet has solved the problem.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are many auctions held overseas that collectors can have access too.

If they want too.

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.