Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Pricing on larger bulk subs?

Has anyone tried getting any prices on a larger bulk subs lately. I would like to submit 500 to 1000 cards but not at $8 a pop.

Packers Fan for Life
Collecting:
Brett Favre Master Set
Favre Ticket Stubs
Favre TD Reciever Autos
Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
Football HOF Rc's

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you need closer to 2K to get any kind of reduced pricing but it's worth a call to find out.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

At $8 a pop, I am very hesitant to send in newer cards. Great if you get a 10, loss with a 9.

• jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

@PatsGuy5000 said:
    At $8 a pop, I am very hesitant to send in newer cards. Great if you get a 10, loss with a 9.

these would be for my personal collection. but still $8 per when you keep the cards is hard to justify anymore.

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

if it would take 2k cards, then you may be able to find folks to submit 200 or more and get up to a 2k count...I am sure I could muster up a few hundred if the price were lower than $8

• wadevlwadevl Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

2000 Cards might get you down to $7,
    but the days of $6 grades, are far behind us

Lucky
    BIGLEAGUE SportsCards
    "Respect The Hobby"
    www.bigleaguesc.com
    https://www.ebay.com/str/bigleagueseller

@wadevl said:

about 10 years ago you could get them down to the $4.50 per card price point. back then they said they understood that for many on the registry trying to complete certain sets that grading low dollar common cards was the driving force for lower bulk rates. now they still think that people will pay twice as much for that still common card.

so how low do you think they would go if I tried to organize a mega bulk submission? i do have 2000 myself but not at $8 or $7 a pop.

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2018 1:24PM

@jradke4 said:

@wadevl said:

about 10 years ago you could get them down to the $4.50 per card price point. back then they said they understood that for many on the registry trying to complete certain sets that grading low dollar common cards was the driving force for lower bulk rates. now they still think that people will pay twice as much for that still common card.

so how low do you think they would go if I tried to organize a mega bulk submission? i do have 2000 myself but not at $8 or $7 a pop.

2,000 cards may get you down to $7/card. Not sure how many more you'd need to get lower than that but best thing to do is call and inquire.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

I asked customer service a few months back, before the price increase and they told me I could get a better rate at $1k cards. I want to say at that point it was maybe $6.50. Guessing if you send in 1k, it would probably be $7 but be curious to hear what they say.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Man, I recall participating in a 4.50 per card sub years ago and I think we were able to get 2k plus cards. That price point is all history now. I do believe we will see another increase for the bulk rate in 2019. Business is just too good for PSA and the international expansion will generate more submissions.

i am going to call tomorrow. anyone interesting in joining me? i have heard from another member that would be interested subbing a substantial number if i can get down near the $4 price point. with his and mine i can tell PSA that I have 5000. so any one else that would be serious please let me know. normally they ask for large subs to be broken down into 500. so i would prefer if people have 500 card lots or more to join.

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's
  • ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

You guys are the reason PSA is so far behind. Do you really need 5k graded cards especially if its new crap? Just sayin'

• secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

Just call and get prices and then go from there. Ask for your 2k, 5k and up in the event you could put together a massive order.

I am sure I could come up with 500 if we get a good price....

• tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

I would ask at what level can u get these various price points? ie. $6, $5, $4 etc

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• Even PSA needs a good laugh on a Monday morning.......YES, call them and ask how many cards it would take to reach a $4 price point. I'll answer it for you. NO $4.

edited November 26, 2018 11:38AM

@MonicaDan said:
    Even PSA needs a good laugh on a Monday morning.......YES, call them and ask how many cards it would take to reach a $4 price point. I'll answer it for you. NO $4.

Curious, why do you say that? what do you think the big submitter s like 4sq pay and how many cards a year do think they submit?

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• I don't think anything can be compared to 4SC. I would have to believe they are the biggest submitter in the history of 3rd party grading. I've heard of raw card reviews, separate grading team/room....etc. I would assume that they have a contract in place and has been in place for 10 years or so. Plus, why does PSA have to give a significant discount when the packages can't fit in the building right now? LOL. You never know. I could be wrong and hope I am.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tonylags said:
    how many cards a year do think they submit?

Based on their Wednesday morning emails (xxxx items added since Monday), they're adding 700-1600 cards every 2 days to their inventory. Let's guess the majority of those are PSA and it probably works out to about ~500 PSA cards a day being added, 20 workdays a month (just to keep the math simple), and you're looking at 10K/month.

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭

@ElvisP said:
    You guys are the reason PSA is so far behind. Do you really need 5k graded cards especially if its new crap? Just sayin'

lmao

Talked to PSA. The best they can do no matter how many cards one submits is $8 per card.

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's

@jradke4 said:
    Talked to PSA. The best they can do no matter how many cards one submits is $8 per card.

supply and demand

if i submit 25k cards .. could they do $5? B):D:D:D:D:D

• secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2018 2:07PM

@jradke4 said:

Well, they already knew you were sending 2k regardless of discount and the other guy who would send a few k cards will likely send 80% also. If 4sharpcorners got his rates increased last price bump or will on the expected next one, it could potentially make graded set completion for 60's on up a very tough venture. Only time can tell if the market gravitates back to just stars and rc's.

edited November 27, 2018 2:35PM

@secretstash said:

@jradke4 said:

Well, they already knew you were sending 2k regardless of discount and the other guy who would send a few k cards will likely send 80% also. If 4sharpcorners got his rates increased last price bump or will on the expected next one, it could potentially make graded set completion for 60's on up a very tough venture. Only time can tell if the market gravitates back to just stars and rc's.

i asked what they could do for a 5K sub. said they dont do volume discounts anymore. i think soon the market will gravitate back that direction toward only grading high end cards. there is no way i will submit cards that i have submitted in the past for my Favre master set that are not high dollar cards. the set registry is what has driven there increase in submissions now it appears they are not interested in helping the small pocket collectors keep going with any larger set registry set. even when it was $4.50 a card submitting 1000 always made me ask would i rather spend another $4500 on the same cards i already own or add another $4500 worth of new cards. now PSA is making that decision even easier. i would rather have either the $8000 in the bank or spend in on another $8000 worth of new cards.

Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Rc's

Here is my .02; People will submit low pop commons to try and get 10's; but the supply will be limited hence, higher prices, and those that are making set registry sets will be paying more. Especially if the cost of grading is higher.

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming most are talking late vintage to modern firewood Just submit real Gem potential. That’s it. And be very strict. No fence sitters.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Wow. Not even a minor discount like 7.00 or 7.50.

at some point, the Pokemon well is going to have to dry up some, I would think...they didn't make as many of those as they did sports cards (a lot yes, but not as many I don't believe)...maybe a few years down the road PSA will be asking for more business and can offer slightly reduced pricing on large submissions...the monthly specials aren't really anything....all they do is offer you the chance to get the cards back quicker, for the most part...I don't think that is too big of a deal for most submitters...there isn't too much incentive to submit a large stash of cards at one time....especially if you get a tough grader...wouldn't want the tough grader on a sub of 1000 cards....break it up into chunks and get different graders hopefully...will pay a bit more due to multiple shipping charges, but you have to take your lumps somewhere...I know once I get thru going thru the 300k+ cards I bought off Craigslist, that I will probably have 2k cards to submit at some point...just wish there were options for getting them in slabs a little cheaper than the current $8 offering...

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawyer05 said:

@jradke4 said:

supply and demand

Without knowing their current net profit % per card, it sure does seem like there is more than enough customer demand to warrant a significant increase in processing capacity combined with a slight decrease in price per card and in turn around time, and that the related increase in sales volume and customer satisfaction would more than make up for their added overhead cost.

edited November 28, 2018 1:31PM

@softparade said:
    Assuming most are talking late vintage to modern firewood Just submit real Gem potential. That’s it. And be very strict. No fence sitters.

but i like fence sitters

guys, the price will decrease when the demand decreases, right now they are handling my huge 112 card august submission, would they want 5k more cards at this moment...... :D:D

@lawyer05 said:
    guys, the price will decrease when the demand decreases, right now they are handling my huge 112 card august submission, would they want 5k more cards at this moment...... :D:D

I'm not so sure about that; and for those interested; this was the email I got from PSA today

Unfortunately, there have been many changes with PSA over the last year. Business has been increasing at a level we are having difficulty keeping up with. We have raised our bulk prices and eliminated certain pricing.

At this time, we can only offer the $8 price for a minimum of 100-cards. Perhaps, later next year, we can revisit a special price for 1,000 cards. It wouldn’t be $6 though. We don’t offer that anymore.

Thank you

• skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

@jradke4 said:

You should call 4SC and see if you can piggyback with them.