Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Commons

Can't believe what stupid common prices are getting on Greg Morris auctions. Just trying to upgrade some sets. Any thoughts..

Comments

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

What kind of commons? I've had decent luck finding 71T commons PSA 8 for under $10. Not specifically GM. I'll buy them all day long for those prices. I need about 600 more for that set, a lot of them commons so I have a long way to go!

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming the reference is to raw commons. Morris get some amazing prices for raw stuff.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

@Wink said:
    Can't believe what stupid common prices are getting on Greg Morris auctions. Just trying to upgrade some sets. Any thoughts..

What are the specics? I’ve bought plenty of commons from him for reasonable prices.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've built a good part of my recent vintage sets through Greg Morris purchases. Sometimes you can get deals but he does seem to have a large following and all it takes is two to drive prices up.

Daniel
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

He sold a 1968 topps game aaron the other day for $47 including shipping. You can buy 8's (already graded) for $35 - $40. That's crazy.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    WinkWink Posts: 103 ✭✭

Near mint and nm-mt raw commons 59- 74, mostly all upgrades. I'll bid on several at a time but it's hard to win when people are bidding $10+ for commons. I have no problem with GMC. Have bought lots from him. I guess the upside is my stuff will be worth more when I sell. Pity party over. Thx

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

Greg Morris does a great job, but yeah, sometimes, some of the prices leave you scratching your head. There are folks who speculate to try and chase subbing for a 9 or 10 on some of the raw stuff.

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

@lahmejoon said:
    Greg Morris does a great job, but yeah, sometimes, some of the prices leave you scratching your head. There are folks who speculate to try and chase subbing for a 9 or 10 on some of the raw stuff.

I usually try to bid aggressively with Greg Morris, as if I'm after something in the 7-8 range. I get dusted by those who bid PSA 9 prices. I usually win 2 out of every 10 auctions I bid on. Good cards, but I agree with above posts. The prices he gets are very strong.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Lots of folks follow his stuff, I lose far more auctions then I win.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

NM Raw is huge right now, that stuff gets way more action than graded stuff nowadays

• Options
    wadevlwadevl Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

The Hobby for pre 1970 stuff is as strong as ever,
    especially in Ex+ cards,
    My advice, buy now, get it slabbed, you wont lose

Lucky
    BIGLEAGUE SportsCards
    "Respect The Hobby"
    www.bigleaguesc.com
    https://www.ebay.com/str/bigleagueseller
  • Options
    WinkWink Posts: 103 ✭✭

66 Topps #211 at $11.50...... :(

• Options

Actually waiting on my first order from GM. Picked up some 61 Topps commons the other day. Anxious to see what they look like in hand. They had them advertised at nm-mt. Others have said their grading is accurate so I'm hopeful. That being said, didn't win a lot of auctions as I got outbid on most of the stuff. I was sticking with what appeared to be perfectly centered cards so the competition was strong.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:
    Actually waiting on my first order from GM. Picked up some 61 Topps commons the other day. Anxious to see what they look like in hand. They had them advertised at nm-mt. Others have said their grading is accurate so I'm hopeful. That being said, didn't win a lot of auctions as I got outbid on most of the stuff. I was sticking with what appeared to be perfectly centered cards so the competition was strong.

I've always been very pleased with Greg Morris purchases when filling or upgrading vintage sets. I'm maybe only able to win 10 percent of the cards of his that I actually bid on, though. Prices for his raw card auctions always finish strong, and at times, I've resorted to just buying what ends up being a cheaper priced PSA card (that looks just as nice) and cracking it out for my album, rather than to repeatedly try to bid time and again for a raw card, only to lose every time.

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    I've always been very pleased with Greg Morris purchases when filling or upgrading vintage sets. I'm maybe only able to win 10 percent of the cards of his that I actually bid on, though. Prices for his raw card auctions always finish strong, and at times, I've resorted to just buying what ends up being a cheaper priced PSA card (that looks just as nice) and cracking it out for my album, rather than to repeatedly try to bid time and again for a raw card, only to lose every time.

With the 61's a lot of the PSA 8's are fairly cheap so I was hoping to find 7's and do the same thing. Seems that i can't seem to find many of those much cheaper. I guess if I have a seller that I can rely on that the grades are going to be accurate, I will pay a little more. Sort of defeats the purpose to buy a card for $2 that was listed at nm only to find after receiving it that it is no better then ex or ex-mt and I have to buy another one. This is my first attempt at a raw, vintage set in nm or better and I'm really enjoying it. I'm missing maybe 120 cards and I know I have several to upgrade. Might have a nm or nm-mt card but not centered or centered but only ex. Honestly, while it's nice to fill a missing spot, I'm having more fun with the upgrades. Holding mine next to a potential upgrade...weighing the pros and cons of each, lol. It's going to be a long, costly haul!

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PROMETHIUS88 said:

@countdouglas said:

Honestly, while it's nice to fill a missing spot, I'm having more fun with the upgrades. Holding mine next to a potential upgrade...weighing the pros and cons of each, lol. It's going to be a long, costly haul!

I do this with every single one of my sets from 1966 to about 1991. Some, I naturally put a little more effort in, and with a little more focus, than others, but if I somehow acquire some random raw cards, you can be sure that the first thing that I do is see if they upgrade my current card in that set. Doesn't matter if it's 1966 or 1986. I find it enjoyable to just flip through the pages and take a closer look at what it is that I actually own. By the way, I can't endorse strongly enough to use ultra pro platinum pages. They sure help hide or diminish the noticeable flaws and make the cards pop, and impossibly, they make already perfect cards even better.

• Options

I find it enjoyable to just flip through the pages and take a closer look at what it is that I actually own. By the way, I can't endorse strongly enough to use ultra pro platinum pages. They sure help hide or diminish the noticeable flaws and make the cards pop, and impossibly, they make already perfect cards even better.

I can't bring myself to store sets in sheets. My 62 set, for example is just in penny sleeves in a box. I'll take it out and look at some cards from time to time but it is mostly vg-ex with some cards up to nm scattered in. The 61's I have all in penny sleeves and card savers. Those i take out and can look at each individual card. I think my issue with plastic sheets probably stems from using them as a kid in the early 80's. Traumatic flashbacks of nicking corners of cards that would have value today. I remember it, but back then I didn't care.