Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Any recent darkside submissions?

On the US coins side, there have been reports of recently tough grading standards. (And very fast turn around times.) Was wondering if anyone would care to share their recent experiences with darkside submissions?

I was hoping to put together a submission soon and was curious. Thanks,
Bob

My current "Box of 20"

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just posted some pictures and commentary

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks @coinkat - appreciate the feedback. I enjoyed seeing your newly graded items.

What was the turn around time?

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enter at PCGS on 11/2 and it was shipped on 11/21. That is about as good as it gets... at least from my experience

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

A dealer I regularly buy Australian pre decimals from told me at a coin show at the end of July that he was sending in a submission. At the next coin show (end September) he said that the results he got back were well under what he was expecting (tougher grading standards). He WAS a long term major submitter to PCGS (probably in the top 3 submitters from Australia) but no longer, so I ended up buying some very nice coins in Saflips (raw obviously) as he will now only sell his new acquisitions raw.
    I also buy a number of slabbed coins and find recently graded coins in lower grades (but better coins) than coins graded 2 years ago and they are as nice as coins graded decades ago (before gradeflation lowered standards. So my only options with my raw coins is to wait until gradeflation happens again before I would submit.