Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

GB 1920 Half Crown, Extremely Well Struck Obverse

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
Well, just Love coins, period.

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

A terrific picture. As I understand the history associated with the die prep for the 1920 half crown, there was a high relief of the obverse with the A in GRA pointing to a dentils. Your example seems to be the high relief. Wonderful coin

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, it was not reconised as special by the vendor some years ago. In hand, it not only is in high relief but has a satiny matte look to it that compares favourably to the specimen/proof I have shown previously. The reverse is of equal quality but have misplaced the picture (no "duck-tailing" of the edge like the specimen however).

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2018 8:55AM

Indeed it almost has the matte proof look to it. Nice one!

• Options

I have thought about getting it graded, but not sure if the TPGs even know these coins. They collectively have done rather badly IMO when it comes to Great Britain matte proofs, the standard 1902 year and the other special releases of other dates. They are all over the map and have seen over and under graded by up to THREE grades.

Also, by way of further note, the Royal Mint specifically would even "finning" out on milling at the edges in Victorian times & this is seen on some of the 1839 proofs as well as some of the so-called off year proofs. These will get body bagged by the TPGs even with none other than Steve Hill saying exactly as much; I very much doubt that any graders or certifiers would rank with him as far as knowledge and authority....

• Options

I tried for better pictures but this is what I got.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin does not need to be slabbed. If you ever want to sell, there are plenty of UK buyers for it.

But if you are concerned about a US TPG, like here and ATS, not properly assessing it, you can always reach out to their senior customer service folks (like Heather here and her counterpart ATS).

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options

Thanks, I really like it and had bought it about 15 years ago. It definitely is amongst the very best that I've seen. I really like the silver pieces with great strikes and luster in the 1920-1926 period.

Previously I had submitted specimen silver GB coins from 1942-44 period and these were missed despite giving provenance to them. Not planning on selling but like to gradually get my better pieces slabbed [if correct].