Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Photo question for the photo pros here with sample pics

coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

question for the photo bugs here; first let me say that these are pics taken with my cell phone as I don't have an expensive camera the cell phone is the best I have. I would like to know if you all have any suggestions to improve the quality of the pics, as you can see from the two examples I've included in this post I'm having some issues which I'm thinking is related to lighting. I have a copy stand with two lights attached to it and I've tried several different lights, daylight bulbs, halogen flood lights, and those twisty florescent style bulbs. These pics were taken with two Ott lights and are the best result so far. The only editing was to change the WB (editor in the phone), crop and resize. The copper coin is ok but the fields looks weird, splotchy, and grainy where in hand the fields are smooth and lustrous. The silver WLH again looks ok but the fields show hot and cold areas and the sharpness is not very good. I suspended the cell phone above the coins about 3 inches on a couple of blocks to reduce movement and have it parallel to the coins. Any thoughts you guys have to improve the results?

My Lincoln Registry
My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

Comments

• Options
    IntueorIntueor Posts: 310 ✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf
    I think your shots are great for the image size as posted. The cent could use some “vibrancy” and the half would benefit from some “contrast” but everyone has their own preferences.

I use an iPhone 7 camera. The lens is fixed aperture usually around f2.4. This imaging results have a very shallow depth of field and give a flat image without definition. The exposure is variable by dynamic film ISO and digital shutter speed. The real problem is that in “autofocus” mode. If you are shooting through a slab, the lens will focus on the top of the slab plastic and not on the coin. In a raw coin, the lens will focus on the top of the most prominent device of the coin.
    Here are some things I have learned:

1. Clean the slab and lens. (dust-off)
    2. Adjust at least two lighting sources so they are about a 30-40ᵒ angle on a raw coin and 70-80ᵒ on a slab. NEWS direction is your preference. This adds a little more depth (shadow) to the image. This does not apply for a “ring” light source.
    3. Set the shutter timer for a few seconds.
    4. Use the Bracket Exposure setting (usually 3 shots).
    5. Firmly stabilize the phone at the required focus height for the given composition.
    6. Tap the screen for initial autofocus and exposure settings.
    7. Re-adjust the lighting for the effect you prefer.
    8. Now tap and HOLD your finger in the green square. This gesture locks the focus. When a tiny AF lock image appears, lift your finger
    9. Zoom-in on the central part of the image.
    10. Check the focus and raise or lower the coin and/or the camera to fine tune beyond the plastic (slab) or high point (device).
    11. Zoom-out to the original composition.
    12. Tap the “shoot” button.
    13. Choose which exposure you like best and do some fine tune editing to taste. Remember, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! You can drive yourself crazy attempting “perfection”.

Hope this helps.

unus multorum
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Intueor said:
    @coinbuf
    I think your shots are great for the image size as posted. The cent could use some “vibrancy” and the half would benefit from some “contrast” but everyone has their own preferences.

I use an iPhone 7 camera. The lens is fixed aperture usually around f2.4. This imaging results have a very shallow depth of field and give a flat image without definition. The exposure is variable by dynamic film ISO and digital shutter speed. The real problem is that in “autofocus” mode. If you are shooting through a slab, the lens will focus on the top of the slab plastic and not on the coin. In a raw coin, the lens will focus on the top of the most prominent device of the coin.
    Here are some things I have learned:

1. Clean the slab and lens. (dust-off)
    2. Adjust at least two lighting sources so they are about a 30-40ᵒ angle on a raw coin and 70-80ᵒ on a slab. NEWS direction is your preference. This adds a little more depth (shadow) to the image. This does not apply for a “ring” light source.
    3. Set the shutter timer for a few seconds.
    4. Use the Bracket Exposure setting (usually 3 shots).
    5. Firmly stabilize the phone at the required focus height for the given composition.
    6. Tap the screen for initial autofocus and exposure settings.
    7. Re-adjust the lighting for the effect you prefer.
    8. Now tap and HOLD your finger in the green square. This gesture locks the focus. When a tiny AF lock image appears, lift your finger
    9. Zoom-in on the central part of the image.
    10. Check the focus and raise or lower the coin and/or the camera to fine tune beyond the plastic (slab) or high point (device).
    11. Zoom-out to the original composition.
    12. Tap the “shoot” button.
    13. Choose which exposure you like best and do some fine tune editing to taste. Remember, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! You can drive yourself crazy attempting “perfection”.

Hope this helps.

Thanks @Intueor! Now to figure how to do steps 3&4.

• Options
    IntueorIntueor Posts: 310 ✭✭✭✭

This is what the iPhone 7 Camera App screen looks like before the shot. The multiple exposure setting is done through the Setting > Camera tab. If you are not using an iPhone, there are probably comparable settings in your phone’s Menus.

unus multorum
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2018 10:36AM

@Intueor

I did (edit to add) not know this.

Nor, about step 8. I would just tap hoping for the best. Now that I can lock... this opens possibilities.

Thank you again!

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks guys I'm using a Samsung phone so things look a bit different than an iPhone but will try the suggestions and see how things progress.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file