Home Q & A Forum

Definition of "Class"

OK, one for the experts. I can find definitions for Class 2 hurricane, Class 4 rapids, etc, but nowhere can I find definitions for Class 2 Reverse, Class 1 Doubling or other similar items. Where can I find the definitions, or is it totally worthless to read those gradings, as there are no actual standards, it is left up to the person making the comment? Same is true for the stages of "Die state" My middle die state may be someone else's late die state. Guidance, please!

Tagged:

Comments

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen the term used (See Wexler's Die Varieties, 1804 Dollars, etc.) but it is probably an arbitrary usage that has popped up in numismatics by whatever the writer wishes to signify. :wink:

• Did find something on Die States which referenced a study by Del Romaines (Romines?) (it is spelled both ways in the article I found) which was published in the March-April 1996 issue of ErrorScope. Would like to find that article. Still have not found anything on class, except something in the article I found which says "Class VI is a type of doubled die without separation so letters typically just appear wider". Something, but not much.

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try this

Wexler’s (select doubled die)
    http://doubleddie.com/58222.html

• Thanks. Found it. Had missed the area on classes.