Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Hawaii

2»

Comments

• Options
    ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice one @northcoin ! Even "rarer" than the original it is a tribute to.

I have been looking for one of these Royal Oak Mint reproduction coins. Minted by Mike Bozynski with dies engraved by Heidi Wastweet, there are probably less than 50 to 75 of these in existence.

Recently I was fortunate enough to run across not one, but TWO of these1928 Hawaiian commemorative tribute strikes. Both with some amazing toning on them.

Enjoy.

Z

@northcoin said:

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ZoidMeister said:
    Nice one @northcoin ! Even "rarer" than the original it is a tribute to.

I have been looking for one of these Royal Oak Mint reproduction coins. Minted by Mike Bozynski with dies engraved by Heidi Wastweet, there are probably less than 50 to 75 of these in existence.

Recently I was fortunate enough to run across not one, but TWO of these1928 Hawaiian commemorative tribute strikes. Both with some amazing toning on them.

Enjoy.

Z

@northcoin said:

Thanks.

• Options
    Mr Lindy Mr Lindy Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

We love the Hawaiian house flipping cable shows,

I can imagine living in a world with no snow removal.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was waiting for that one's appearance in this thread. 👍

• Options
    DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

Not an error, but a blunder...HK book has a drilled out 49 (most are) image. Showed my "intact 49" specimen to Jeff Shevlin once, he indicated this was the first he saw one.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Upgraded my 1c last year, purchased from David Hall Rare Coins - he beat me out at the HA auction and I was able to buy for a reasonable markup!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

Kingdom of Hawaii Royal Medal: King Kalakaua I Coronation Medal.

• Options
    D808LFD808LF Posts: 400 ✭✭✭✭✭

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

• Options

• Options

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭

But i've been twice and have visited 3 of the islands.

• Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps the most unusual Love token i have encountered!
    Cannot say for certain but i believe this is truly a “Term of endearment “ in the Polynesian culture..

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow - now that's romantic! :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

@1northcoin said:

@DrDarryl said:
    Not an error, but a blunder...HK book has a drilled out 49 (most are) image. Showed my "intact 49" specimen to Jeff Shevlin once, he indicated this was the first he saw one.

Actually Hawaii was slated to become the 49th state but Alaska leap frogged it. My theory is that the powers to be realized Hawaii 4-9 just wouldn't work for a TV Show and so they held out for Hawaii 5-O.

FWIW here is some interesting Hawaii/Alaska related trivia. Who would have guessed that Alaska is both the most western state as well as the most eastern? Hawaii can only claim being the most southern.

"What is the Northernmost state in the US? Of course, everyone knows it is Alaska. How about the Southernmost state in the US? Some say Florida or Texas, but it is in fact Hawaii.

"How about the Westernmost state? Some say Washington or California, or Hawaii. But actually it is Alaska, which stretches very far West (and as we know, from Sarah Palin's backyard, she can see Russia).

But how about the Easternmost state in the US? Some say Maine. But in fact, it is ... Alaska! Alaska stretches so far West that it crosses the 180 degree meridian, extending into the Easternmost parts of the Eastern hemisphere. So Alaska is the Northernmost, Westernmost, and Easternmost state in the US, and Hawaii is the Southernmost. "

Actually...

Alaska became the nation’s 49th state on Jan. 3, 1959— the result of political jostling between President Dwight Eisenhower, a Republican, who pushed for Hawaii’s statehood, and the Democratic majority of Congress, which supported Alaska. At the time, Hawaii was perceived as a Republican stronghold—ironically, since Republican hegemony would not long survive statehood. Nor would Alaska stay Democratic.

After several attempts at passing a Hawaii statehood act failed, Hawaii Congressional Delegate John Burns agreed to let Alaska be admitted first.

Source: https://hawaiimagazine.com/hawaiis-statehood-remembered/

• Options

https://money.org/collector/drdarryl/blog/us-mint-and-its-hawaii-related-issues

Count to increase in 2023 with the release American Women Quarters (Edith Kanakaʻole – indigenous Hawaiian composer, custodian of native culture and traditions)

• Options
    oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of my favorite copper coins. Mahogany patina. Interesting backstory as well.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oldabeintx said:
    One of my favorite copper coins. Mahogany patina. Interesting backstory as well.

Excellent color on that one!

• Options

Last time I checked, these are the only TPG graded & encapsulated HK-536 and HK-535 SCDs. Purchased from Jeff Shevlin a few years back. According to Medcalf & Russell (Hawaiian Money Standard Catalog, 2nd edition, 1990) only 11 uniface pairs were struck.

• Options

MS-66+

• Options

Original dies (low volcano). Purchased raw, then had them encapsulated.

• Options
    edited December 14, 2022 3:37AM

HK-721 Mid-Pacific Carnival Honolulu (1914). iconic surfer (Duke Kahanamoku) design. MS 64 PL (NGC top pop)

SCD, stamp, postcard, etc., in my Hawaiiana collection. Intention of this collection was for an exhibit display.

2MF-8 (MF=Medal Fraternal). NGC top pop. Mintage is 25.

• Options

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like the Duke stories. I have one of the 1883 dollars and it like many others has been cleaned slightly and retoned - it still is nice and maybe I will post pictures....
    Hawaii is absolutely a dream to me and love the place past words!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file