Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Arriving today...1511 Bishopric of Salzburg batzen

A recent auction purchase on its way, and is out for delivery right now! (If it requires a signature the anticipation will be prolonged another day.) The eye appeal on this piece, and it's very early date, really stopped me when I was browsing auctions. Think I'll be happy with it in hand?

It depicts St. Rupert is patron saint of Salzburg - and his container of salt (SANCT RUBERDUS EPIS) and crozier. The reverse has the year and the arms of Salzburg on the left, and the bishops on the right with text LEONARD ARCHIEPI SALZ.

Comments welcome.

My current "Box of 20"

Comments

• worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

Another wonderful piece @Bob13 ! I really like this one. Great detail and strong strike.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome!

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very well designed coin and very well struck as well. That's the kind of coin I wish I had started collecting back in the 1960's instead of US coins.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the comments!

@291fifth Curious your reasoning about collecting world vs. US - just more interesting, more history, more bang for your (collecting) buck or what?

So the coin arrived and it is a beauty! Here are some really crappy iPhone pics (well - probably more my fault than the iPhone). But this coin has thick luster with great color. This is definitely a keeper.

My current "Box of 20"

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice piece but that appears to be a bowl of pistachios. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why world (including ancient) rather than US:

1. More history.
    2. More interesting and often more artistic.
    3. Rarity without excessive cost (much more true years ago than today.)

US coins, with very few exceptions, are not rare or even scarce. They are just popular with the collecting masses.

All glory is fleeting.

Picked up another coin from Salzburg. 1681 3 kreuzer. Neat little coin!

My current "Box of 20"

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrific coins

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are very nice. Do you have any coins dated 1501 or 1500 ?

@Tibor - Nope, none dated 1500 or 1501. This 1511 is still the earliest I have.

I really like some of these bishopric/archbishopric coins. So far I am catching as able on Sixbid and the like. Are there are any dealers for these early coins that any would recommend (to clarify - with online presence)?

My current "Box of 20"

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

To start with the two you shared pics of are really nice. There is another site
    similar to Sixbid, and that is numisbids.com . About twice as many auctions to bid
    in. Now for the dealers, there is an excellent site : ma-shops.com . There are
    dozens of dealers and ninety percent of them are European. I shop with them
    regularly. The shops are up-dated regularly and once you select some of your
    collecting preferences you will get E-mails alerting you of new additions. I was hoping
    for a 1500 or 1501 dated coin, but instead I got to give you info that helps with
    your collection. A true win. If you have any questions feel free to ask me.