Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Do you avoid or bid less for old PSA label cards?

As grading has evolved, it seems that cards that were graded awhile ago may not receive the same grade if submitted now. (This is not a knock on PSA - I think they do a great job overall).

I have started to bid less on older graded cards - I certainly scrutinize them more closely. Wondering if others do the same.

Daniel

Comments

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭✭

does not matter to me unless the card is more than 1k

• BriYo79BriYo79 Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    edited November 13, 2018 9:50AM

This sort of discussion and mentality is exactly what PSA wants to hear. It'll keep them raising fees and continually "updating" their labels aesthetically just to get people to keep sending in their already graded cards to get reslabbed. How about just looking at the card itself and bidding accordingly rather than concerning yourself with what generation the PSA label is? There have already been faked slabs with the new label so that "counterfeit-proof" claim is moot.

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭

Depends entirely on the card. For 90% of them the slab generation doesn't matter to me, the card's aesthetics will rule the day.

• waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭

Agree with above posts. I have a mix of all flips late 90s-present. I made a big dent in a registry set by buying a lot of "old" flips from the early 2000s. I think it would be a daunting (and expensive) task to try and get them all reholdered to the current flip, plus if I did get them reholdered, I will be "behind" once again as soon as PSA releases a new flip.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have some very nice old flip cards. But as a rule, I do think they are graded more loosely. The centering end of that is visually evident. But I just bought an old flip PSA 9 that looked great in the scan, but had all kinds of corner issues I couldn’t see. I think that was an aberration even in the old days, but much less likely today.

• JimMeantJimMeant Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

Every card should be evaluated separately.

Although I do believe that PSA graded much more leniently on older flips than they do today.

-Collecting anything vintage
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    I have some very nice old flip cards. But as a rule, I do think they are graded more loosely. The centering end of that is visually evident. But I just bought an old flip PSA 9 that looked great in the scan, but had all kinds of corner issues I couldn’t see. I think that was an aberration even in the old days, but much less likely today.

I will say that I have a first-gen Stargell rookie as a PSA 6 and I really see it as clearly a "5" by today's standards, but it's very nicely centered, and the price I paid was 5-ish level anyway. I may one day crack it or submit it for review to see it in probably the more accurate "5" holder.

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

From what I have read and what I have seen myself the 71T cards seem to be graded more strictly now than they were in the past. It hasn't really stopped me from purchasing cards in the older flips, but I will certainly look at the cards and not just the grades. In my first sub I spent a lot of time comparing the cards I was sending in with some cards I already had graded. The resulting grades were lower than I was expecting. When comparing the cards side by side they looked to be the same grade, but the older graded cards appeared to be overgraded (or the newer cards undergraded).

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

I don’t usually buy the older flips unless it’s a lower grade card that I plan to crack out for my raw card collection or for a set.

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

I do think grading has gotten tougher over the years so I give a little extra scrutiny to cards in an older flip.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesnt really effect the way I bid. I believe that if I were to reholder and it came back a lower grade, PSA would reimburse for the difference in grade.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• FrozencaribouFrozencaribou Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like old flips. I look at all cards for their own merits, but old flip cards are my favourites.

• JimMeantJimMeant Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    Has anyone here ever re-holdered an old flip and had it returned to a lower grade????

No, but I just recently accomplished the opposite.

This tough card #1 in the 1963 Fleer set was a PSA 7 in an old flip.

I loved the eye appeal, and took a chance at cracking and resubmitting. Glad I did!

-Collecting anything vintage
  • krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

@JimMeant said:

@MLBdays said:
    Has anyone here ever re-holdered an old flip and had it returned to a lower grade????

No, but I just recently accomplished the opposite.

This tough card #1 in the 1963 Fleer set was a PSA 7 in an old flip.

I loved the eye appeal, and took a chance at cracking and resubmitting. Glad I did!

Wow! I can't believe that was in a 7 holder.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:

This will never happen unless the holder is damaged in the area where the card resides or shows signs of tampering.

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

It does not make a difference to me, appearance of the card is the key. Some are saying that PSA is a little stricter with the grading now than in the past; I am finding that they are tougher grading newer cards verses older cards (I have sent in some new cards fresh from the pack with no noticeable problems and gotten a PSA 8, and seen many older cards with visible corner/edge/centering issues get a PSA 8 as well. Anyone else seeing this?

• mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭✭

To me it depends on how old the flip is. I like the new lighthouse one, but will not pay a premium on flip alone.

PackManInNC
  • dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually try to buy a lighthouse labeled slab over any other one merely out of preference. I think they look way better than the older pre-hologram ones with the crumpled labels inside. I'm also willing to maybe pay a little more for a lighthouse labeled card vs older one. ive even sold cards in older slabs to just turn around ab buy a newer slabbed one that may have better eye appeal as well. don't get me wrong, I will buy a card in any PSA slab if I need to or get a good deal on one, but I prefer the newer one and will hold off until finding the card I want in it before settling on an older one.

and ive noticed there are others with the same preference on other forums and groups when the question was asked.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

As we all know, buy the card, not the flip. But, i don't mind very old flips of they are pre 0.5 half pt grade era....had good luck getting those bumped.