Home Q & A Forum
Options

1983 Penny - Possible Error?? Need Help!

DiggerJimDiggerJim Posts: 406 ✭✭✭✭

On the reverse around the "CENT" there is what looks like bubbles on the coin. There is one beneath the memorial on the right hand side. On the obverse there is a small line of bubbles that stretch from Lincoln's forehead/hair down towards the three in 1983. Looks like about 10 bubbles. And are a few more scattered around on both sides.

Sorry for bad picture I used my iPhone. I'm a newbie and don't have my Cannon set up yet for taking pictures like these. Some info would be appreciated

Thanks

DiggerJim

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

Best Answer

• Options

Thank ya Sir! So if it is pretty common it's probably still worth a penny. Oh well I'll keep looking and keep watching this forum.

DiggerJim

BST transactions - mach1ne - Ronyahski - pitboss (x2) - Bigbuck1975 (x2) - jimineez1 - nk1nk - bidask - WaterSport - logger7 - SurfinxHI (x2) - Smittys - Bennybravo - Proofcollector

Answers

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2018 4:39PM

@DiggerJim

Looks like plating bubbles/blisters. Improperly preppared planchette prior to striking. Pretty common and not rare.

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DiggerJim said:
    Thank ya Sir! So if it is pretty common it's probably still worth a penny. Oh well I'll keep looking and keep watching this forum.

DiggerJim

Your welcome. Keep on searching, and you never know what you will find.

And welcome to the forum!

• Options
    shinywhiteshinywhite Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

@Hemispherical said:
    @DiggerJim

Looks like plating bubbles/blisters. Improperly preppared planchette prior to striking. Pretty common and not rare.

I'm not saying it isnt common but I've never seen this.

• Options

Well, for the sake of getting between two opinions. If I wanted to pursue this further what would my next step be?

Thanks

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,792 ✭✭✭✭✭

You'll get more responses if you post in the US Coins forum, but they are going to tell you the same thing.

• Options

Thanks Gentlemen, I will try the links provided and the US Coins forum for help as well. And if I find anything positive I will come back to this thread let you guys know.

Thanks for the help.

DiggerJim