Home Autographs Forum

Autograph Pens

What are the best pens to use for autograph signings? I will be getting a couple baseballs and a basketball signed. Also, might get a photo signed. What pen is most ideal to use?

Tagged:

Comments

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer anything with Iron gall ink for permanence.
    Registrar's ink is usually that or micro-particle.

I use a fountain pen almost exclusively but they feather badly on some of this new junk paper.
    Probably a registrar's ballpoint would do the trick but test it on similar paper to be sure.

• giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭✭

Baseball-Regular Bic pen type will work Blue ink works best. No sharpie type ink pens as they tend to bleed over time.

Photos-Blue Sharpie Fine point works best

Basketball-Gold or Silver Metalic Ink Pen Medium Point Check arts and crafts stores as not avaialabe at regular retail stores. This type has a darker color compared to the sharpie brand .
    If you use a paint pen be sure and shake it before handing it as you have to get the ink flowing.

Hope that helps. Check ebay to see what above look like.

• Something like this?

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say no. That is a paint pen and I believe they are harder to use than the recommended Sharpie.

As has been said, Sharpie on photos. Bic or Papermate blue ball point pens on leather baseballs.

By the way, only use a "Rawlings official major league baseball", not a cheaper ball.

• jillyrubyjanejillyrubyjane Posts: 10
    edited July 29, 2020 7:30AM

With me, Sharpie fine tip is the best pen for autograph signings. Fast drying and no smudging, and can write on a variety of surfaces. I really like this pen.

Sharpies are a bad choice for baseballs.

• picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

No sharpies on baseballs !

And silver on basketballs, sometimes gold fades on basketballs.

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sharpies don't seem like the best choice. I could be wrong.

• Silver paint pen on basketballs. I have some beauties with the silver paint pen - and it’s paint, doesn’t go anywhere. On autograph panel (white) basketballs or even footballs be careful because sharpies bleed over time on them.

• jillyrubyjanejillyrubyjane Posts: 10
    edited July 25, 2021 3:17AM

For me is Shuttle's black permanent marker set, a deep, smudge-free black ink. Can be used on many surfaces.

• Any recommendations for a thin blue marker for a multiple player vintage card? Concerned the sharpie is too thick. Thanks in advance

Sharpie makes an ultra fine point pen that will work.