Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

When taped-stained cards are more valuable

BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 11, 2018 10:24AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I was going through some cards from my childhood collection when I came across these beauties from 1974 and 1975. All of these cards are tape stained because they spent time taped to the wall and mirror of my childhood bedroom. As soon as I saw these cards, they brought back a flood of memories.
I do enjoy some great condition cards but I wouldn’t trade these for ones in much, much better condition. To me, so much of my current attraction to the hobby is that it takes me back to my past.

Daniel

Comments

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BaltimoreYankee said:
    I do enjoy some great condition cards but I wouldn’t trade these for ones in much, much better condition. To me, so much of my current attraction to the hobby is that it takes me back to my past.

Agree. And well put.

Andy

• Options
    mccardguy1mccardguy1 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2018 1:32PM

I know exactly what you mean. While theses cards do not have tape on them they do have the writing of a nine year old me as I loved to open the sports pages and move my cards from team to team based on the trades listed in the paper daily. I wouldn't trade these cards for anything either.

I am on a budget and I am not afraid to use it!!
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of the cards I got from my father when he was kid, have writing on them. He would cross out team names, player names, write nicknames on them. My aunt also wrote things on my dads cards. They're funny to go through and find.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

Not quite the same but I have a 1987 Topps Nolan Ryan card that I left out on the floor back in 87. My cat chewed it up and I found it a few years ago. It’s got bite marks all over it. I might even get it graded.

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

You're supposed to have the animals bite it after it is graded......

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Here's what I did with my 1974 Topps doubles...

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'