Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

F.A.O. Money- Food For All. Recent Pickup. Interesting!

I purchased today 9 panels of coins/medals that are marked 1-9, and are apparently part of a program to eradicate hunger, and poverty. These coins according to the literature with sets are, "The first international issuance with a common theme: Food for All."

F.A.O. stands for the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.

I'm still trying to get a handle on what I purchased- not too hurt; just sunk $175 in all. Apparently, these coins/medals have been produced over the decades. Since I have these 9 panels- I'm getting the urge to purchase more. A few of these coins are silver. Mintage may be low with these special strikes- IDK.

Please leave any info on these sets- they are pristine with exception of the last set: taped up a bit. Any varieties, keys, etc.? I do have some dog eared literature with sets. I thought this was a bit of icing.

Thanks!

Comments

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember the FAO coins and also ICC.

My guess is that $175 might be a little steep but then again it is a nice presentation and it would be extremely difficult to recreate that set.

It was an interesting series. The US, Canada, and western Europe did not participate.

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you did well !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

Appears that they used UNC coins, so that's a good thing. Nice presentation and you got the whole set. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of these are a little scarce or quite common.

Of course you can't tell which is which by Krause.

Tempus fugit.
  • PocketArtPocketArt Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cladking said:

Lol, very true. I looked up mintage on some of these coins and some were in the 2,000,000 plus category, yet, also a good handful that were interesting at around 50,000-80,000 or so...I have two that are a bit over 3,000 so that was neat to discover. Some I can't find mintage info on- these are fun sets; I hope to find a few more.

@PocketArt said:

@cladking said:

Lol, very true. I looked up mintage on some of these coins and some were in the 2,000,000 plus category, yet, also a good handful that were interesting at around 50,000-80,000 or so...I have two that are a bit over 3,000 so that was neat to discover. Some I can't find mintage info on- these are fun sets; I hope to find a few more.

The Indian coins alone will add up well more than $175. The attrition on these are very low and whether the demand can be sustained as more coins are sold into it remains to be seen.

But some of the other coins actually saw a lot of circulation and have huge attritions. The scarcest moderns sometimes have the highest mintages. People have done a very poor job of saving copper nickel coins.

Tempus fugit.

Even where the coins are common due to high survival rates there is a tendency for the coins in the sets to be much better quality.

Mint sets are often the only source of BU moderns and many cu/ ni high denomination moderns were never issued in mint sets. The mintage on this FAO issue set was substantial however.

Tempus fugit.

Is the S Korea 50w actually dated 1973?

Tempus fugit.

@cladking said:
    Is the S Korea 50w actually dated 1973?

Yes, dated 1973 on the reverse @cladking . Thank you for information on these sets.

Most of the coins have the F.A.O., or a theme that involves food, or, encourages the production. All appear dated. The devices on these coins are quite stunning, very beautiful. I'll get some quality photo's up of some of the coins- please let me know if there's any you'd like to see, and I'll get those up tomorrow evening.

The copper alloy are all full red- all silver are nice white; with the exception of the 10 rupee Indian coin which has toned. The cu/ni are pristine. The packaging must be of good quality, or, was stored properly as most all coins look fresh.

Here are a few at closer inspection. If I hadn't mentioned- I really like this set. :):):)

• ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Lots of info on FAO coins at these sites.

fao-coins.info

manfredboehm.de/fao/

bencoins.com/fao/

Most are base metal, but there are some nice silver in the set. There is a collectors base for them.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

@ADG said:
    Lots of info on FAO coins at these sites.

fao-coins.info

manfredboehm.de/fao/

bencoins.com/fao/

Most are base metal, but there are some nice silver in the set. There is a collectors base for them.

Awesome- thank you very much!

Your 1973 50w isn't a particularly nice specimen but Krause lists it at $50 in MS-63.

Korean coins are strong right now but I don't know what this coin will actually bring.

The Somali 5S is scarcer than Krause suggests.

It's very hard to set prices for coins that barely exist and nobody wants but catalog prices have no bearing on supply and little bearing on demand. Chinese, Russian, and Indian coins are so high now not because they are scarcer than other world moderns but only because these are the only coins in demand since US collectors have no interest. There's a lot of supply in the US though and it remains o be seen if the demand can absorb all this supply.

Many world moderns don't exist anywhere at all in pristine condition and some high mintage coins are tough in any condition. People just didn't save them and if not for sets like this one even these would all be scarce.

Tempus fugit.