Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

BOLO

The organizer of a supersize sub I piggybacked on picked up our package from the PO yesterday and there was significant damage to the outer box that had been taped over. Initially the concern was damage to any of the holders in the inner boxes, but once opened only 2 of the 3 inner boxes (labeled 2/3 & 3/3) were present. If you happen to see any of these cards, please contact me:

41740264 MINT 9 1983 Patriots Frito Lay John Hannah
41740265 MINT 9 1983 Patriots Frito Lay John Hannah
41740266 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1932 Reemtsma Cig. Olympia 1932 66 Mildred Diedrikson
41740267 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1932 Reemtsma Cig. Olympia 1932 66 Mildred Diedrikson
41740268 VERY GOOD-EXCELLENT 4 1932 Reemtsma Cig. Olympia 1932 71 Mildred Diedrikson/Jane Shilley/Eva Dawes
41740269 VERY GOOD+ 3.5 1932 Reemtsma Cig. Olympia 1932 71 Mildred Diedrikson/Jane Shilley/Eva Dawes
41740271 MINT 9 1976-78 Sportscaster-Italian 61 Jack Nicklaus
41740272 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1976-78 Sportscaster-Italian 61 Jack Nicklaus
41740273 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1976-78 Sportscaster-Italian 0185 Lessico A-G (Bob Charles)
41740274 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1976-78 Sportscaster-Italian 0211 Bjorn Borg
41740275 GOOD 2 1976-78 Sportscaster-Italian 342 Johnny Bench
41740276 GOOD 2 1976-78 Sportscaster-Italian 0505 Sam Snead
41740277 MINT 9 1977-79 Sportscaster 02-02 Jack Nicklaus Japan

PSA has been contacted to confirm all 3 boxes were shipped in the same package. Is there any way to initiate a trace with USPS to see where the damage occurred in transit? I'll post pics in a few minutes.

Comments

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

you notify your local post office so they can begin to look into it?

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dictoresno said:
    you notify your local post office so they can begin to look into it?

The person I piggybacked with is doing that this morning, they were closed by the time this was discovered last night.

Pics ...

There's no shipping label on the inner boxes if this was an innocent case of one of the boxes slipping out, just the PSA label and order number ...

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would still notify your local office in case it happened somewhere closer to you along the way than by them.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh no, that sucks! So sorry you've got to deal with that Kyle.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Geez, sorry to hear about this Kyle.

I would consider making an appointment and talk to the head PO in your area - this is certified mail - and IMO should get special care and oversight?

Best of luck.

Mike
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2018 2:29PM

A domestic damage claim form has been filled out with pics, supervisor is checking with the last distribution center it went through and tracing it back to Anaheim. Last chance will be with Atlanta where all the loose and unaddressed packages get routed to.

My hopes are low, while it may have started as accidental damage, it sure looks like it was extended just enough to squeeze one of the inner boxes out and taped over without the normal 'Sorry your package got damaged' sticker/note.

ETA: Those Italian Sportscasters are going to be nearly impossible to replace :'(

• Options
    edited November 7, 2018 4:42PM

ETA: Those Italian Sportscasters are going to be nearly impossible to replace :'(

Again, I feel bad about this Kyle - sure hope their cameras root out what really happened.

I just received a 30 card sub back from PSA. It was so well packed and taped, I guess I just find it hard to believe it just "popped open."

And if so, since these are postal workers, they'd just make sure everything went back together - they "KNEW" what was in those boxes when they let one of the inner boxes slip under the table?

Hard to believe there isn't security footage of something like this?

Mike
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kyle sorry to hear about this. Man this just blows big time!!! Hope you get some luck on this one and it is recovered. Those Italian Sportscasters are so hard to find.

• Options

@BALROG said:
    of course sorry Kyle. .but the organizer is suspect # 1. Inside job man. Call Perry Mason.

Reasonable suspicion if it wasn't someone I've subbed with many times over the past several years.

• Options
    Time4aGansettTime4aGansett Posts: 382 ✭✭✭

Not sure if adding those cards to your registry sets would help, that way if they do pop up and someone is looking to add them to their set, you will be notified to pull from your set registry, and then start investigating how they got the cards.
    I would wait to see what PSA says and USPS says first. May be suspicious if you follow my thought first.
    Tough luck anyway, hopefully they find your cards.

• Options
    edited November 7, 2018 4:56PM

For those who've never gotten more than 1 small box from PSA - this is a 2 box mailing:

I think the pics Kyle posted are pretty much what I would expect sans the side damage.

My take? The PO damaged the box and someone took advantage of the situation or damage intentional to pilfer a box?

edit: while I had to sign for the package - I don't see anything that indicates certified? So, I'm guessing that's not required by PSA? I haven't sent anything in some time since I do the sub at the national. I thought I remember certifying the last sub I did from home.

Mike
  • Options
    81 Topps Guy81 Topps Guy Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

PSA doesn’t send the cards back certified mail anymore. While we may get our cards back a little quicker, this wouldn’t happen via certified mail, everyone who handles that package has to sign for it. I hold my breath every time I’m getting a box back. To the OP, very sorry you have to deal with this, hope by some miracle you get your cards back

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

sorry to hear this. i will keep my eyes pealed.

• Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2018 6:31PM

This just plain old sucks, Kyle. I just created searches for those cards in my eBay saved searches.

Andy

• Options

@Time4aGansett said:
    Not sure if adding those cards to your registry sets would help, that way if they do pop up and someone is looking to add them to their set, you will be notified to pull from your set registry, and then start investigating how they got the cards.
    I would wait to see what PSA says and USPS says first. May be suspicious if you follow my thought first.
    Tough luck anyway, hopefully they find your cards.

Added to my registry this morning, but they've be invalidated by PSA now (so I'm assuming they'll get notified if someone tries to add).

Fingers crossed.

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

I hope someone is dumb enough to try and move these holder intact and it produces some sort of lead for you.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

@81 Topps Guy said:
    PSA doesn’t send the cards back certified mail anymore. While we may get our cards back a little quicker, this wouldn’t happen via certified mail, everyone who handles that package has to sign for it. I hold my breath every time I’m getting a box back. To the OP, very sorry you have to deal with this, hope by some miracle you get your cards back

This. I really wish PSA had a certified return option. USPS employees seem terrified of certified because of the accountability involved.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

Given how long it takes PSA to grade many orders, I too would prefer certified mail. Who cares if it gets shipped to you a day or two quicker when it takes 3 months to grade an order?

Robb

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I would file a police report or check to see if PSA filed one. Without a report, if the cards do show up somewhere you may have a hard time getting them back.
    James

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Batpig said:

USPS employees seem terrified of certified because of the accountability involved.

I believe you are referring more to registered mail. Yes, that does cause some skittishness. Certified mail, not really.

Certified mail isn't much different than a regular letter or package, traveling through the regular mail stream, except that there is a little more tracking, which is mostly anonymous or automated, and then verification of receipt at the destination.

Registered mail requires each person that handles that item to attach their name to it, and accept responsibility for it, until it has been physically handed over to the next employee that does the same. Those mailed items usually travel within locked chests or cages, and then transported to a secure area with employees themselves locked inside large registry cages as they open the transports and verify receipt of each of the items that are indicated to be inside before sending them on. Much, much higher level of security involved.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ugh. Those Sportscaster cards are so tough. Sorry, Kyle.

Arthur

• Options
    wadevlwadevl Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

That Sucks Canal Water

Lucky
    BIGLEAGUE SportsCards
    "Respect The Hobby"
    www.bigleaguesc.com
    https://www.ebay.com/str/bigleagueseller
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

sorry to hear larkin,
    Aren't most Sportscasters printed in Italy though ?

• Options

@lawyer05 said:
    sorry to hear larkin,

Printed there, yes. In Italian language, very rare. This sub had doubled the total pop of the Nicklaus Italians, including the pop 1, none higher.

• Options

Whose responsibility is it to safely return the cards? PSA's?? I remember the post where the buyer had the big hassle with FEDEX. Don't you just call PSA and say your cards did not arrive? They say to inspect the cards when they arrive. This is disturbing and I hope you get your cards back or at least get properly compensated.

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@lawyer05 said:
    sorry to hear larkin,

Printed there, yes. In Italian language, very rare. This sub had doubled the total pop of the Nicklaus Italians, including the pop 1, none higher.

holy crap, actually ITALIAN LANGUAGE in the card ? Wow, never seen one. I will be on the lookout since im always looking for Sportscasters Al brown.

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Sucks, hope at some point they are found and returned to you

• Options
    BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:

@Batpig said:

USPS employees seem terrified of certified because of the accountability involved.

I believe you are referring more to registered mail. Yes, that does cause some skittishness. Certified mail, not really.

Certified mail isn't much different than a regular letter or package, traveling through the regular mail stream, except that there is a little more tracking, which is mostly anonymous or automated, and then verification of receipt at the destination.

Registered mail requires each person that handles that item to attach their name to it, and accept responsibility for it, until it has been physically handed over to the next employee that does the same. Those mailed items usually travel within locked chests or cages, and then transported to a secure area with employees themselves locked inside large registry cages as they open the transports and verify receipt of each of the items that are indicated to be inside before sending them on. Much, much higher level of security involved.

Yeah, I meant registered.

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man that blows. Sorry to hear it Kyle.

Kevin

• Options

@Batpig said:

@81 Topps Guy said:

This. I really wish PSA had a certified return option. USPS employees seem terrified of certified because of the accountability involved.

i think my cards were returned certified last time as i had to go to the post office to get.....but i may be wrong on that.
    They should be certified return with so much at risk here