Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Which would you prefer?

If you had the opportunity to pick up a card and one copy had a tilt (not severe, but noticeable) and an otherwise sharp copy that had one fish eye, which would you choose?

I think I would choose the fish eye as the tilt would probably drive me nuts.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would depend on where the fisheye was and how large. If it was on the players face definitely take the tilt. If it was on the background and small would take the fisheye. I would likely wait for a card that had neither unless the price difference was large enough to make me settle.

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

fish eye....but now noticeable are we talking here?

I had a PSA 10 1985 McGwire USA that had a tilt, noticeable, but not bad enough that it bothered me. if the tilt was like the card below, then I would rather have it over the fish eye. Here is also a Pete Rose card I have with a fish eye, but doesn't really bother me.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

pretty similar to the fish eye on the Rose. Card is a 75 Brett in a 9 holder and the fish eye is on the top border not affecting the image. Price is good for the grade. others I have found in that Grade and a similar price range are tilted, maybe just a hair more than the McGwire. Guy is offering me an attractive price on the fish eye example. They really dont bother me all that much, just thinking about future resale value if I ever want to move it. It will be a PC card.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2018 7:28AM

On ‘75 Brett I settled for fisheyes to get strong color. Was able to get one I could live with at a great price. Not a 9 like yours so am sure the one you are considerjng is nicer - but I am not too distracted by the fisheyes on mine. Horrible pic - hoping to finally get a scanner for Christmas.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fisheyes bother me more than most, so as long as it's not a significant tilt, I'd go that way. Others will feel the opposite where even the slightest tilt is a deal breaker. If it's for your PC and the price is right, go with whichever minor flaw you find less offensive. Who knows what the market will prefer by the time you sell. I can remember when razor sharp corners were what mattered most, nowadays it's centering, in the future ... ?

Tilted any more than the McGwire would be distracting enough for me to avoid. If it wasn't for the '84 US Baseball Team' logo poking up enough to help balance the top border, the tilt would be right on the border of 'distracting' for me.

• Options
    LargentcollectorLargentcollector Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2018 7:57AM

This is the most centered Iceman Rc I have seen front and back, it has a very small fish eye and is doesn't bother me.

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

With my budget, I usually choose both

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2018 2:04PM

@craig44 said:
    If you had the opportunity to pick up a card and one copy had a tilt (not severe, but noticeable) and an otherwise sharp copy that had one fish eye, which would you choose?

I think I would choose the fish eye as the tilt would probably drive me nuts.

Hiya David.

When I did a "deconstructed" look at an 83F raw I did last year - one of my "final" observations was the fact that "Centering was the First thing I noticed."

So, give me the fish!

Mike
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tilt is the one thing that bothers me more than OC. I’d take a fish eye all day over a Tilt or OC

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Tilt is the one thing that bothers me more than OC. I’d take a fish eye all day over a Tilt or OC

Agree with this. Tilt is the worst of the seven deadly sins for me.

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went for this 75 Brett cause of the centering, but it does have a fish eye in the middle of the Royals. Doesn't bother me to bad.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Where the fish eye is and what color vs the rest of the card is a major factor. The brett is a nice card congrats.....

the fish eye is hidden within the royals. If it were on the border it would be 10X worse

Very minor tilt is ok but a big lean over really bothers me.

In NO CASE will I pay full price for either. Generally I will wait for another card.

Like many of you out there I don't have unlimited funds so we compromise sometimes.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about this one, centering is great, however fish eye on the G

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Fish eye over tilt hands down.off center as long that it’s better than 75/25

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

a PSA 10 GEM tilt ?
    What in the world