Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Article RE: Mr. Mint Dec 1996 Auction (includes lots of unopened product prices)

I bought a lot of 86 magazines from the late 80's into the mid 90's (to get the repli-cards from them). I have also been reading some of the articles in them when time allows, especially the ones where they say what cards would be good "investments". I thought some would be interested to read the article I have attached. If someone can get the picture of the attachment into the thread so people don't have to open an attachment, that would be great. I was also planning on posting other articles in the future that people may find interesting, so if someone could tell me the best way to put my new discussion together, that would be great too. I have been using the copier at work to image the article, then it sends an email to me with the article as a PDF attachment.

Comments

• Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

oh yeah...article needs to be rotated :)

• lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I like the 1971 Topps wax box for $4200. That might not get you 2 packs, today.

• LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kevin

• waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

A run of 68 thru 71 rack packs for $900, awesome! Thanks for sharing the article!

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • TiborTibor Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many times Mr. Mint would close his auctions
    with 1 or 2 lots of "new items" for the
    "new card sickos". I remember a case of 1982
    Topps Traded sets as one. Oh to have a time
    machine!!!

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh Mr. Mint. I got a copy of one of his books at goodwill a while ago for .50. when I brought it home and looked at it, turns out it was signed. He brought a lot of publicity into the hobby, but the Youtube series of videos where he purchased an older Wisconsin gentlemans collection has always stuck in my craw. he treated that man and his collection very poorly in my opinion.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    Oh Mr. Mint. I got a copy of one of his books at goodwill a while ago for .50. when I brought it home and looked at it, turns out it was signed. He brought a lot of publicity into the hobby, but the Youtube series of videos where he purchased an older Wisconsin gentlemans collection has always stuck in my craw. he treated that man and his collection very poorly in my opinion.

Ugh, and didnt he throw a jersey into an area that was dirty and the jersey wound up with motor oil on it? I want to say it was either an auto Hank Aaron jersey or a Hank Aaron jersey that was signed by the 500 HR club. He was like "Eh, doesn't matter, we will pay for it" when the owner freaked out.

Growing up Mr. Mint was a hero to me, and then I saw videos like that. I remember going to a show maybe 8 years ago or so, and he was set up there. He seemed like a real jerk.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes, an Aaron jersey with motor oil. The flippant way he riffled through all those binders throwing out prices like a big shot and when they all first arrived, Rosen actually made fun that the old guy had to have a testicle removed.

Al Rosen, a real class act.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 8, 2018 8:53PM

Always fun to go down memory lane - thanx for the post!

Around '94/95, picked up a 79T BB rack case for about 11 bucks per rack as I recollect from big Al.

Mike
  • A quick Google search shows that Al met his maker last year. He was only 70.
    I once interviewed him for my college newspaper back in the 1980's. He wasn't that nice to me because I was from a small school in South Jersey, but he at least answered my questions.

• shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭

Actually not quite as cheap as I’d have thought on the early 60s? Also surprised at the closeness of the 1 cent packs to the 5 cent packs.

I’ll take a few of those 68 fb boxes tho for $1600!