Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Need info...

I'm new to coin collecting and I have these 2 coins. I know they are chinese from 1661-1722. I think I found out stuff about them but not too sure, and what I can't find out is how much they may be worth, haven't had time to take them in and check it out

Best Answers

• Options
    coffeycecoffeyce Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2018 9:59PM Answer ✓

@Insider2 said:
    As you already know, these are Chinese brass "Cash" coins. Most are not very valuable. If no one answers, I'll try to ID them for you. Someone who collects these should know immediately.

The coin is from the second Emperor of the Qing Dynasty. His name was Kangxi and he ruled from 1661-1722. I cannot attest to the authenticity of this coin but I can tell you cast coins from many periods in China have modern and contemporary fakes. the four characters on the obverse mean "Kang Xi Tong Bao" which basically translates to the money from that emperor time. The two characters on the reverese I believe are Manese from the Man ethnic minority of China. I cannot decipher them for you. I think this will help you do some more research.

Chris

Edited: they both appear to be the same coin type

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

They appear to me to be authentic, the fakes are die struck on thin brass. These have the appearance of being cast as the originals were. But as for many Chinese imperial coins they are fairly common - sometimes they are dug up in the thousands and millions.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21