Home U.S. Coin Forum

1884-S Morgan & 09-VDB - GTG -Grades are in-

2»

Comments

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

They got it right; very hard to get AU on 84-s Morgans.

• SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Soldi said:
    Definitely a 65 on the 09 vdb Red. The 1884S is going to get an EF 45 grade. and it has detail for more, but it's going to get taken down points for the chin mark and the fields. I wish you the best of luck. Watch the PCGS coin grading video on this site. A dip is not a cleaning, that coin is not cleaned, although that coin has been dipp

• LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FadeToBlack said:
    XF45... good to know I won't be sending any coins in for grading in the next month.

I'm done altogether

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2019 8:32AM

@asheland said: "Terrible full slab shot."

Let's forget the Lincoln and just look at the 84-S.

When I first looked at the original images, there was no way I was going to try to GTG on the dollar. This particular date is usually graded differently than the majority of other dates due to its value. I agree with most here and would have guessed AU-53 min. and AU-55-max. from the original images.

In reality, the "terrible full slab shot" is the key to this coin, IMO, PCGS "nailed" the grade. There is no way an 84-S is going to be graded AU-anything with so much wear (change of color) on the face. The excellent image above shows it perfectly.

Now, the Lincoln. There is a patch of tiny carbon spots in front of lincoln's face. The "killer" is the medium size corrosion spot in the motto.

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 The more I look, the cheek and Eagle's breast indeed have noticeable wear. I am thinking 45 is correct, although the luster sure has that AU look...

1884-s and 1901-p Sliders bring premiums especially so with the 1884-s Wayne Miller had one for sale this past year. I couldn't touch it for the asking/command price. The coin above if we go back to 1987 ANACS's grading guide has the requisite 50% of the luster remaining.( personally I can't stand a Morgan dollar with all those circ lines) The crying out in "gradeflation" is this fact 50% of the luster must remain to grade EF 45. There are so many coins with little or no luster graded EF 45 on purely "technical terms" of wear, remaining detail, sharpness, lack of blending, eye appeal of etc.

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad I was wrong on the Morgan.....
    Good results I think.

bob :)
    Happy New Year all!

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com

Buy them, read them, go to shows, make mistakes, enjoy. Time has a way of bailing us out

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Soldi said:
    1884-s and 1901-p Sliders bring premiums especially so with the 1884-s Wayne Miller had one for sale this past year. I couldn't touch it for the asking/command price. The coin above if we go back to 1987 ANACS's grading guide has the requisite 50% of the luster remaining.( personally I can't stand a Morgan dollar with all those circ lines) The crying out in "gradeflation" is this fact 50% of the luster must remain to grade EF 45. There are so many coins with little or no luster graded EF 45 on purely "technical terms" of wear, remaining detail, sharpness, lack of blending, eye appeal of etc.

When I started collecting, an original XF coin would blind you with its amount of luster - think of the English system where the grade scale went from XF to FDC. There was no AU! Today, if a coin has a little more original luster than right up against its relief, the seller wants to call it an AU.

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 1, 2019 9:43AM

@asheland said:

@commoncents05 said:
    XF45 is harsh for a coin with that much luster. I pegged it at AU53 before seeing the grades.

-Paul

Agree! AU53 was my thought, too. I'm just glad they didn't think it was cleaned, indeed the pictures make it look that way, but I was certain that it wasn't. But what I've been hearing about them being tight is certainly true. I am totally cool with it, it's a solid XF if there ever was one!

hey what luster are you referring to? I see none, that's a silver shine/ lighting facade (lol) - it's graded well , too much circ and wear for AU and the OP knows it, and is happy with the grade.

I suspect the TV's will help..were are they?

Why are we bashing the grade is beyond me. Whoever insist grading is tight, and that this morgan is an AU, I pity when it comes to sell your holdings.

JMHO

edited January 1, 2019 12:00PM

This has been an interesting discussion for sure.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel your pain. I had an ex PCGS MS64 Std dime go to PCGS MS62. I bought the coin raw and resubmitted it.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

@ajaan said:
    I feel your pain. I had an ex PCGS MS64 Std dime go to PCGS MS62. I bought the coin raw and resubmitted it.

I'd love to see your dime! It sounds nice.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file