Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Latest PSA Sub Back (with scans)

I actually got two subs back in the last couple weeks but I have this one scanned and ready to go, so I will share this one first. Overall I am pretty happy with the results.

I pulled all of these cards from boxes (and factory sets) I have opened in the last 6 months. Very fun pulling 10's of MJ even if they aren't the most valuable cards. I never pulled a Shaq Gold RC when I was a kid opening 92 Topps so pulling a Gem out a factory set was pretty cool.

I am pretty pumped with the 93 Stadium Club 1st Day MJ! That is a Pop 18 25 years after release. A little disappointed that the Decade of Excellence and Double Trouble both pulled 9's. Hard to quibble as the line is thin I suppose between a 9 and a 10 for cards that are 20-25 years old. Also pumped to get the Lebron 2nd year in a 10. This is where the sub starts getting good (in terms of grades::).

A new Tim Duncan refractor for my HOF TC Refractor project. More LBJ 10's. One of my favorite players from the era, future HOFer Chris Bosh. I think he is pretty underrated. With apologies to the Carmelo fans/collectors on the board, (it is just the easiest way to describe him). He is sort of the anti-Melo, in being a self aware player who sacrificed his numbers and usage to play a role in order to win.

The Embiid is numbered to /279 and another LBJ 10!

More Simmons. I am in the minority, but in general I like Optic > Prizm (at least for aesthetics). A couple of Warriors inserts #'d /49 for the PC.

You probably get the idea that I like LBJ and Simmons cards:D. That Tatum kid is pretty good to. More of him later.

The Curry is jersey #'d [B]30[/B]/175 for my Curry jersey numbered card collection. I now have that all star card in #30/175 and #30/49.

More Prizm

The Donovan Mitchell Silver and the 1st Day MJ end up being the most valuable cards in this sub. A couple of non BK cards I threw in the sub. I am disappointed in the soccer card as I was hoping for a 9 when I sent it in, but I get the corners were a little weak, so the 8.5 is fair. Overall, it is very hard to complain with my results even if ending on a Nm-MT+ instead of a Gem.

Thanks for following along. I actually should have a major update soon in the November to Remember pick up thread. As such I will reluctantly be moving quite a bit of the cards from this sub along with my other sub on the BST forum.

Steve

Comments

• Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

Nice sub Steve, you have a good eye! Can’t wait to see your new addition.

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

great work, Steve! thoroughly enjoyed the fruits of your labor, thanks for sharing bud. i really dig that 04 Chrome Bron -- had never seen it before

• Options
    stwainfanstwainfan Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice.

I collect hall of fame rookie cards, https://www.instagram.com/stwainfan/

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool. I guess many of us will have to start pulling our older Jordan's!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice sub! Love those Tatums!

Arthur

• Options
    wadevlwadevl Posts: 224 ✭✭✭

Good Stuff!

Lucky
    BIGLEAGUE SportsCards
    "Respect The Hobby"
    www.bigleaguesc.com
    https://www.ebay.com/str/bigleagueseller
  • Options

Steve,
    That is a great looking sub overall, I really love the look of that 97 Fleer Jordan. I agree those 9's could also be 10's on a different day. Congrats! Were those older chrome cards raw buys (if so where?) or were they pack pulls?

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve great sub results. Can’t wait to see your November addition. Must be pretty special.

• Options
    Kep13Kep13 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

nice grades, as others have stated. I too have a large order of various cards like these, as well as some from the early 90s/early 2000's...I'd guess the Jordan Decade of Excellence got a 9 due to top/bottom centering...it's easy for all of us to focus on the left to right centering, but you can see where there is quite a bit more border on the bottom than there is on the top. Eyeballing it, I would guess 60-40? With a modern card, they probably decided it fit better in a 9 holder.

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2018 3:21AM

@RookieHOFers said:
    Nice sub Steve, you have a good eye! Can’t wait to see your new addition.

Thanks Matt. I am pretty sure you will approve of my addition.

@galaxy27 said:
    great work, Steve! thoroughly enjoyed the fruits of your labor, thanks for sharing bud. i really dig that 04 Chrome Bron -- had never seen it before

Thanks Stephen. Yeah, there is much consternation these days among modern basketball collectors about the lack of action photos from Panini. Seeing some of the older cards from Topps and Fleer pictured in the same sub as cards from the last couple years sort of hammers that point home.

@stwainfan said:
    Nice.

Thank you!

@Cakes said:
    Very cool. I guess many of us will have to start pulling our older Jordan's!

Thanks BC. It is crazy how much Jordan is worth compared to everyone else. I guess it pays to be the GOAT! Or at least to collect him.

@ReggieCleveland said:
    Nice sub! Love those Tatums!

Arthur

Thanks Arthur. Yeah, I should have posted one of my other recent subs. If you liked this one, you would have loved that one. I had quite a few more Gem Tatums in that one.

@wadevl said:
    Good Stuff!

Thanks!

@Largentcollector said:
    Steve,
    That is a great looking sub overall, I really love the look of that 97 Fleer Jordan. I agree those 9's could also be 10's on a different day. Congrats! Were those older chrome cards raw buys (if so where?) or were they pack pulls?

Thanks Tim. Yeah, like I said, I was a bit disappointed in the 97 Fleer Jordan. Even though hitting the 1st Day is probably worth more from a value standpoint, I would have preferred the 97 to get the 10 and the 1st Day to get the 9 if I had my pick. Of course we don't get to pick when we are grading, lol, so I will gladly take 10's on any card and moving along quietly.

All of the Chromes from this sub were raw buys from eBay. I have also had good success getting 10's of Topps Chrome Refractors and Topps Chrome from COMC as well. Generally, I have found that the stock on Chrome (and Prizm cards) is pretty good when considering a card's corners and edges particularly for fronts of cards. The only exception is when a card has colored borders on the back, then you have to check the scans/pictures of the back to look at the corners more carefully. If you can find centered cards, you are most of the way to getting a 10. The biggest holdup for grading when buying online is typically the surface of the card. The Chrome and Prizm cards tend to be pretty susceptible to scratches and blemishes so trying to check for that in images is helpful too. The only pack pulled cards were the MJ's (and Shaq) from the one quartet.

@JBrules said:
    Steve great sub results. Can’t wait to see your November addition. Must be pretty special.

Thanks Dave! I am looking forward to getting it in hand. It is a card I have wanted for a long time but have had a hard time justifying based on its price. I was kicking myself for not buying one when the opportunity presented itself at a much lower cost. But now I realized that ship has probably sailed and that if I want the card, I would probably just have to pay the going rate.

@Kep13 said:
    nice grades, as others have stated. I too have a large order of various cards like these, as well as some from the early 90s/early 2000's...I'd guess the Jordan Decade of Excellence got a 9 due to top/bottom centering...it's easy for all of us to focus on the left to right centering, but you can see where there is quite a bit more border on the bottom than there is on the top. Eyeballing it, I would guess 60-40? With a modern card, they probably decided it fit better in a 9 holder.

Good luck on your sub. Yes, 90's to present basketball is definitely my sweet spot of grading these days. I agree with you on the Decade of Excellence. From what I remember, the card was very crisp in hand and the only drawback was the TB centering which you observed. I decided to sub it anyway, figuring it would still gain value in a 9 over being raw (not always the case for a modern cad). This card doesn't pop up frequently, but I did see at least one 10 with similar TB centering and perhaps I was fooled by that exception into thinking that it was a norm rather than an anomaly.

Steve
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2018 4:22PM

Nice job Steve.

Great eye buddy!

I've got a membership sub back today - will try to post.

The 90F is pristine!

edit: this was written but didn't post for some reason?

Mike
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

Awesome sub, Steve! Congrats on all the gems. Especially the Jordan SC!

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

holy ben simmons!

• Options

@Stone193 said:
    Nice job Steve.

Great eye buddy!

I've got a membership sub back today - will try to post.

The 90F is pristine!

edit: this was written but didn't post for some reason?

Thanks Mike. I was pretty happy with my Jordan results.

@skrezyna23 said:
    Awesome sub, Steve! Congrats on all the gems. Especially the Jordan SC!

Thanks Dan. It was a great sub. It was definitely was a blast to see the 1st Day SC grade as I was scrolling.

@HighGradeLegends said:
    holy ben simmons!

Thanks. I have a nice little Ben Simmons collection going. I am hoping his play picks up as the season goes on.

Steve
  • Options

I will post this card in the Nov pick ups section too, but since I first brought up the card in this thread I will unveil it in this thread first. Here is my latest pick up from PWCC. An absolute must have for me as a Warriors fan. I held out a long time because I never wanted to spend this much on a modern card, but I figured, it doesn't look like it is going to be getting too much cheaper anytime soon. The straw that stirs the drink...

Steve
  • Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

He looks to be about 12 years old there. Nice pickup!

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickup for sure. I don’t see the prices coming down on that card any time soon so better now than later. Congrats. If the Warriors repeat that card is going to make a nice bump in price.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice Mbappe, glad to see others here picking those up too!

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

this Stephen approves of that Stephen

if ever there was a card that needed to be in a collection, it's that card in yours

fantastic get Steve