Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1962 Topps baseball wax pack to be reholdered as a 5th series pack...

mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was able to determine that my unknown series 1962 Topps wax pack is actually a 5th series pack. The player showing through the back of the pack has a ban around the cuff sleeve...so I noted only the Giants, Braves, Cubs, and Angels had worn a decorative band on the jersey sleeve during that time. In checking all the players for those four teams...I found that Johnny Orsino of the SF Giants resembled the player pose shown on back of the pack...he is card #377. I sent both the scan of the pack and a scan of Johnny Orsino to PSA...and PSA confirmed it is indeed a 5th series pack.

Most notable players in the 5th series are: Lou Brock RC, Yaz, Berra, and the Sporting News All Star cards for Aaron and Mays.

mint_only_pls

Comments

• krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

Good detective work!

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

I am surprised they can call that a 5th series and label as such without seeing the top card. There were 4th/5th series combo packs this year according to PSA is the reason. Without verifying the top, how can one disqualify the 4th/5th combo?

• mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

@secretstash said:
    I am surprised they can call that a 5th series and label as such without seeing the top card. There were 4th/5th series combo packs this year according to PSA is the reason. Without verifying the top, how can one disqualify the 4th/5th combo?

That would be even more star power potential for the pack: Mays regular issue, Aaron regular issue, Frank Robinson regular issue.

mint_only_pls
  • secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:

@secretstash said:

That would be even more star power potential for the pack: Mays regular issue, Aaron regular issue, Frank Robinson regular issue.

Awesome. Great point. Good luck if you pursue trying to see that top card. I have found certain blacklight colors can help depending on the pack coloring issue.