Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

An Abstract Contemporary Cast

I collect horses on medals, usually without any human interaction, but this cast medal intrigued me. A 1967 choice of the Association for the Art Medal, by a noted artist, Arthur Spronken.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2018 3:30PM

No disrespect, and you know how much I like your taste, but this must be the ugliest medal I’ve laid my eyes on. 😋

PS: Why does it have wear on it and what’s the purpose of an almost identical reverse to the obverse? (I’m guessing that the reverse is a rendition of the original design copied from an ancient design ?)

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is my understanding that the medal is supposed to show how a rough sketch becomes a finished design. In other words, the subject of the medal is its creation.

DPOTD
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is it bronze? Is it one of a kind? Diameter? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

Bronze and 39.8 mm. Unlikely that it is one of a kind. I believe it was available to members of the medal appreciation society rather than to the general public.

DPOTD
  • Options

It's kinda growing in me. I see a date 1953. What is between the 9 and the 5? Cast in US or where? Anything on the edge? Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

The numbers are not sharp, but they read 1967. (Actually, that 6 does look more like a 5). I am wondering whether the description is correct. Anyway, this is a Dutch medal and there is nothing on the edge. Finally, I would guess that the mark between the 9 and the 6 (or 5) is the foundry mark. I will see if I can find out more.

DPOTD
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find that a stunningly beautiful medal, and even though the horse be of archaic design, reminds me of the best of all cavalry with man and horse blended as one....And even though millennia and continents away, perhaps evocative of such as the Plains Native Americans once they took to the horse.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

Yeah, what 7Jaguars said. Peace Roy

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

That thing is sort of freakish. but it is very artistic and has a way of growing on you.