Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Casted Wilhelmina

I always look forward to the Schulman auctions in the hope of coming across a nice Queen Wilhelmina medal (she is a personal hero of mine). The latest auction had a stunning 170 mm plaque featuring the Wienecke portrait from back around 1923. A bronze cast.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful portrait.

The detail int he engraving alone make it special medal but that relief! Wow

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is another portrait of Queen Wilhelmina, cast sort of:

So apparently these were first "minted" in 1892 in honour of the Fortuin company's 50th anniversary. In 1898 they were given royal warrant and later on used the Queen's portrait on their "minted" mints - these are peppermint candies that were apparently a favourite of the Queens. They can be found in Dutch grocery stores etc which is where I found this example and a whole box of others just like it.

PS after taking the photo I consumed the subject!

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    mamieopamamieopa Posts: 94 ✭✭✭

Another Wilhelmina, looking quite young, but struck for a 1909 exhibition in Rotterdam. Gilded Bronze, 60 mm, 70 g. I spent some time to find out something about the exhibition, found nothing.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like these... Somewhere I have a bronze featuring Whilemina for 1898...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

170mm is huge and I like it alot . Great detailed portrait of a stately monarch. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    170mm is huge and I like it alot . Great detailed portrait of a stately monarch. Peace Roy

70 mm not 170 but still nice.

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. This is a plaque. It is 170mm. Has a tray all to itself!

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

@harasha said:
    No. This is a plaque. It is 170mm. Has a tray all to itself!

Sorry!