Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1962 Mantle

How distracting is the line on the bottom? It is clean otherwise. I know if I’m asking then it may bother me. So asking for a friend...

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've collected a bunch of 62's over the years, and I avoid 'em. A matter of taste though. Worse on the Mays when it is there.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would bother me.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would avoid it as it would bother me. I remember looking for a nice 1970 Mays and a lot of them have a white line on the top.

Daniel
  • Options
    dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks fellas, I knew if I am asking then it bothers me too. Price is not that great to makes it look better.

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

eh, pass. Unless it is 70% average price.

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

Finding a nice 1962 Mantle without that cutting line was tough.

Dave
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

How on earth does that card get a 7?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Is it 9 o/c =7??? I don’t know if it is that sharp.

I dunno, glad I didn’t pick it up

• Options

How about this one? Reverse t/b

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

The lines bother me. And when buying graded 62's, I would suggest not buying anything that isn't in a newer holder unless you are just looking for the number. In my opinion, cards without the PSA sticker on the front, grade one to two grades lower than what they are being graded now. If you compare 7's and 8's that were graded 15 years ago, they would never garner those grades today.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2018 2:32PM

And when buying graded 62's, I would suggest not buying anything that isn't in a newer holder unless you are just looking for the number. In my opinion, cards without the PSA sticker on the front, grade one to two grades lower than what they are being graded now. If you compare 7's and 8's that were graded 15 years ago, they would never garner those grades today.
    >

I do agree that for the most part grading is stricter now than say 10 years ago. I feel like for ‘62s, 71s, etc. that yesterday’s 9 is today’s nice 8, and there’s such a price difference that that’s hard to ignore.

That said, gems can be found in all flip generations.

• Options
    sinoth23sinoth23 Posts: 152 ✭✭

Would much rather have the second one, in regards to centering/no line.

• Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

Get one without the line whatever you decide to do.

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2018 12:01PM

The 1962 Mantle is an absolute beast of a Mantle card; so hard to find a strong example in any grade. I would personally concede some corner wear if the centering, focus, and edges are there on an example. The top white line of the picture "frame" is very often out of focus, which is rather noticeable when compared directly to one with the correct registration. The black line is also very common. I would say the 62 is right up there with the toughest of his cards. I'd go with Matt and try and grab one without the line if possible.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options

@DM23HOF , thanks good to know. So if I see a nice one that is centered it is time to buy.

• Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a super nice one.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

the line would drive me nuts. I would pass and maybe go for the second 7

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Thanks all, will likely hold off for now as any of these as soon as I get it I would want to upgrade it and who wants to do that. Great information on this board. I knew obviously about the chipping on the 62’s, however I did not know it was a bear to find centered. Additionally how prevelant and frowned upon the cut line was.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2018 5:14PM

At first I thought the card should get a MC qualifier, but upon reflection that would be over penalizing, since any small vertical off centering would cause the line to be visible.

I really don’t understand these “cut lines” in 1962 and 1970. They don’t seem to appear in other sets. And as this sheet photo shows, they only seem to appear under certain rows on the sheet, not all.

• Options

55 Bowman is another one. I guess it just makes those without the line more desirable. I have always been distracted about the 70 Mays as well.