Home Q & A Forum

Toned Coins

I know coins are not supposed to be cleaned but how do they go about giving a heavily tarnished silver coin a grade? What type of grade might I expect to get on this coin.

Comments

• I just noticed on the side a topic menu to Buy, Sell and Trade - is it ok to sell Ungraded/ Raw coins?

• shinywhiteshinywhite Posts: 346 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2018 6:58PM

Ms 62

Give us a pic of the reverse

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about VF-20, environmental damage, glue residue and cleaned. Save your money.

Looks like someone had used this to inlay in something and then covered it with some sort of nasty stuff

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

It appears that the coin previously had a gilt coating that for the most part was stripped away from the silver. The black chemical residue remains except for the yellow gilt particles in creases. If this coin is real, the value is melt $12. Buh buy. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• Thanks for the input. My Husbands grandmother gave it to him over 50 years ago. I have no idea what it's history is, ie: used as inlay or covered in nasty stuff. I do know it hasn't been touched in over 40 years until recent. I'd love to post the Reverse side but yesterday my camera decided not to work anymore. I would say the reverse is very light and evenly toned with a bit of wear showing on the upper right wing. I'll have my son take a pic with his cell phone later tonight ;)

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2018 2:35PM

@Insider2 said:
    How about VF-20, environmental damage, glue residue and cleaned. Save your money.

As Insider2 stated, this coin isn't worth the expense to submit for grading. If you are interested in its cash value, it has "melt" value for its silver content. Of course, the coin has been in your family and so it will perhaps have more importance in sentimental value.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Thanks so much for the advice and opinions. I think maybe I might try to clean it up and then have Hubby give it to our Grand daughter. :)

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that's a good idea. What child wouldn't like the feel of a big old Morgan dollar. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52