Home Precious Metals

where would you sell..............

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where would be the better place to sell some Canadian Silver coins [older stuff/raw] ?
Here or on the World Coin Pages ?

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• KollectorKingKollectorKing Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    Where would be the better place to sell some Canadian Silver coins [older stuff/raw] ?
    Here or on the World Coin Pages ?

Aqui amigo

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

or 50%?

Most refiners will pay around 95% on the 80-925 stuff. Dealers, I'd be paying around -3 back of melt depending on volume. Then melt it into bars with the rest of my scrap and ship it off.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jinx86 said:
    or 50%?

Most refiners will pay around 95% on the 80-925 stuff. Dealers, I'd be paying around -3 back of melt depending on volume. Then melt it into bars with the rest of my scrap and ship it off.

Not a lot of volume [maybe 4 troy ounces of net silver] and all of the above percentages, but some 'old' coins :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Why not try the BST? It's free so what do you have to lose?

I vote BST. That small of volume a refiner would pass and I would buy retail at -$3/ ozt asw.

Or the really way out there idea. Refine it yourself. It's a fun hobby that can really pay off.

• Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

@Jinx86 said:
    or 50%?

Do refiners prefer the homemade bars? I've got a couple buckets of sterling jewelry I need to do something with and bars would be cheaper to ship.

Melted bars of impure material are treated just as such. If they were refined to 999 fine silver they would pay a better rate or give a better rate in trade for other products. Silver is a tiresome material to refine, for me its just a byproduct of gold refining. And for that reason I keep low grade silver on hand to inquart my gold scrap. I do this with my personal stuff, not the material for the shop. I would need a much much larger reaction vessel to keep up with our gold.

As for cheaper to ship, that I fully understand. However the cost to melt and pour the material could outweigh the benefit on a small scale. For us to have made silver worth melting and pouring, we needed to upgrade our furnace. I have 3 induction furnaces at my disposal all the way up to 800ozt. First 800ozt batch takes 40 mins to become molten and each batch after about 25. Huge items I still take the oxy/acetylene torch out and cut to size.

• Mission16Mission16 Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

@Jinx86
    This makes sense. Yeah, I don't have the equipment or inclination to melt much in the way of metal. I used a track hoe to crush it down last time.

It sound like you have a neat job somewhere!

• KISHU1KISHU1 Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭

Try to sell it here I would be interested in the Canadian silver and the "buckets" of sterling jewelry

Thanks

Frank D

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

where are you located?
    and, very important, please list the .800 and .925 coins BEFORE torching those, whatever low grade they might be.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will collect them and photo them and then post here :smile: