Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Common Israel Commemorative Coin - Jerusalem Silver 1968 - Sells on Ebay for abnormal price. WHY??

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Uncirculated-1968-Israel-10-Lirot-Silver-Foreign-Coin-/352496346424?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l44720

There appears to have been 5 bidders that bid up this common silver coin from its easily obtainable price of $22 to a final auction price of $122.50. Is this a scam? Can anyone offer an explanation?

Comments

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was an auction, not a BIN. People got caught up in the frenzy.

thefinn
  • Options
    mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm assuming those five people noticed it has a below average number of dings/surface marks and might be 68DC or 69DC if dipped/submitted... only rationale I can think of.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Big shift in prices when pristine. These were not kept well in the PVC holders.

• Options
    atomatom Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭

Truly a beautiful coin. The thick, concave planchet accentuates the Jerusalem panorama design, more so than on the gold version. And of course the obverse boasts the famous Holy Temple from the silver sela of Bar Kochba 2000 years ago!

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zohar One of my favourite songs in Hebrew - Yerushalayim Shel Zahav - Jerusalem of Gold. I couldn't help but think of that when I saw that stunning coin.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zohar said:
    Big shift in prices when pristine. These were not kept well in the PVC holders.

Now that is a nice coin !🙂

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

@atom said:
    Truly a beautiful coin. The thick, concave planchet accentuates the Jerusalem panorama design, more so than on the gold version. And of course the obverse boasts the famous Holy Temple from the silver sela of Bar Kochba 2000 years ago!

Now getting a nice looking Sela is a different matter - I wish had one B)

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bidding against others has little to do with common sense. Nice clean coin and shows as a proof. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's stunning, I may have to pick one up

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options

• Options