Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

My very tiny, microcosmic market report, based on my recent 5 coin Ebay auction.

ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 31, 2018 2:41PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Sure this post might be like analyzing a few grains of sand and declaring it belongs to a paradise beach, though it could belong to a radioactive landfill. But here are my own notes and observations:

1) The coins I put up were either duplicates or ones I wanted to sell for this Ebay promotion. They were no problem circulated coins in graded holders (NGC and PCGS) and never sent to CAC.
2) A couple of the coins I had for many years, the others were around a year or two. After adding up the total results, I ended up breaking slightly less than even. I'm cool with that result, since I'm a collector first and not having to make a living on coin sales.
3) Despite what a few Eeyore-type posters bawl about on this board, there is still a market for decent coins. You do have to adjust expectations that you might not make a killing. However, these results would far blow away taking the coins to a local dealer.
4) Spend some time to get decent pictures. There is no excuse for scanner pics or bad shaky phone pics. It's 2018, not 1998. I wish Ebay would act like it's 2018 and allow short video clips of coins along with pics.
5) Posting about this auction on Instagram did get more eyeballs looking at the coins. The Eeyore posters here like to ignore this aspect of selling; they post about the drop in coin club attendance or only "old" people are collecting as market indicators. Not adapting to changes makes failure or low expectations a self-fulfilling prophecy.
6) Selling coins in a popular series seem to get better results in general.
7) The collector that never sells any coins of their own really is looking at the market thru a pinhole with fuzzy edges.

And there you have it. Please feel free to add anything else, especially if you have sold some coins this past year.

Comments

• Options
    AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭

Were any of the individual results out of line? Unusually high or low? Did quality or old holders go for any discernible premium?

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AngryTurtle said:
    Were any of the individual results out of line? Unusually high or low? Did quality or old holders go for any discernible premium?

The one that was the most out of line was the 1820 bust half in VF-30, thought I might get closer to even on that. I didn't have any OGH or fatties, so nothing on that. The 1807 bust half in F-15 did the best percentage-wise, I always though I got that one cheap.

Meant to post this link in the OP, so here it is now:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1007602/for-sale-on-ebay-5-nice-us-type-coins-ends-10-28-2018-no-reserves#latest

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Haven't sold real coins for a while but the plastic market is hot and cold. :D

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish the coin market was more like commodities stock markets but tends to be going downward....If collectors and dealers had reasonable expectations then the hobby would do better. I am usually happy to break even on most sales.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

You always have uncommonly appealing coins even if they are considered common types.

This and the fact that they aren't stratospheric in price results in strong sell prices. Congrats.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2018 10:27AM

Just sold 20 certified Franklins on Great Collections. Most were PCGS, and few NGCs. All were nicely toned IMO, and coins I've owned over 10 years. These were just common widgets...coins I paid $15-$50 for, when I was interested in Franky's. Great Collection did a nice job on the pics. My cost: $425. Great Collection results: $275 Oh well, I needed to declutter anyway.

Bottom line: Widgets are soft.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file