Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Does it bother you when...

You buy a card and you receive it in the mail only to find out the PSA case isn't in a sleeve? It's just in the bubble mailer as is. It bothers me. Maybe because I want to see the case better protected. Whenever I ship out I always put the card in a brand new sleeve.

Comments

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not at all. I remove them immediately upon receipt for scanning and don't use them on most cards.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does not bother me. Do not use sleeves for my PSA cases - leave them in one if sender includes it but don’t sweat it if they do not. To me the PSA holder is already protecting the card.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2018 2:40PM

It bothers me that my wife insists I put the toilet seat down.

If have to look before I pee; the least she can do is "look before she leaps."

Mike
  • krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

I have been using the perfect fit sleeves so I almost always use my own sleeve anyway. As long as they didn't ship it with a few sheets of sandpaper it's fine with me.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't bother me in the least

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• Huskies11Huskies11 Posts: 312 ✭✭✭

@amp0909 guess you and I are in the minority because that always bothers me as well. I always just worry about the case getting scratched during transit.

Currently Collecting:

• Baseball: Griffey Jr, Red Sox, 80s/90s/00s
    • Basketball: Jordan, Bird, 80s/90s
    • Football: Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Patriots
    • Hockey: Gretzky, Buffalo Sabres

Flickr: https://flickr.com/gp/184724292@N07/686763

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless they throw razor blades in there (and then you've got much bigger problems anyway), I'm not thinking there's much to worry about on scratches inside the bubble wrap lining.

• CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

I prefer at least a team bag and always ship slabs with them....

• detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2018 6:19AM

@MLBdays said:
    I like threads like this when folks like @PaulMaul contribute nuggets of collecting brilliance ~ Im ordering this product within the next 60 seconds .... I was using WD-40 with less than great results....my PSA cases often get cloudy smudge marks that annoy the heck out of me..... Gratzi Paul Maul! :) Meguiars Plastx

I agree! I am pretty particular about my holders, and I have been using "Goo Gone" to clean them if needed. I will say, to the OP's point, sellers that send multiple PSA graded cards loose in a bubble mailer do annoy me.

• dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

doesn't bother me. I always throw the sleeve away if its dirty or stash it for future shipping use. I always put my cards into a new PerfectFit brand sleeve. if the slab is scratched up, I use Meguiars PlastX to clean it up.

myslabs.to/smzcards

oh and here's how good the Meguiars works....

Before:

After:

myslabs.to/smzcards

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MLBdays said:
    I like threads like this when folks like @PaulMaul contribute nuggets of collecting brilliance ~ Im ordering this product within the next 60 seconds .... I was using WD-40 with less than great results....my PSA cases often get cloudy smudge marks that annoy the heck out of me..... Gratzi Paul Maul! :) Meguiars Plastx

Glad to help! You should also pick up a microfiber applicator pad....

...and a microfiber cloth.....

You put a small amount of the solution on the applicator and smooth it out so its evenly on the applicator. Then rub the affected area, wipe it off with the cloth, and assess the improvement. Repeat as necessary!

my Meguiars kit came with a microfiber cloth and two small fine grit sanding pads. the only slab I ever needed to use the sanding pads on was the one pictured above. all of the other scratches and scuffs I've come across only needed the cloth. don't forget, the actual PlastX is micro abrasive itself.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

I for one fully agree with you. As picky as we collectors are about little this and thats on a card, it is a sign of downright laziness and thoughtlessness toward the customer not to put the graded card in a sleeve. I don't want the holder scratched, period.

Yet, I am very, very grateful to PaulMaul and you all for making me aware of what Meguiar's offers AND CAN DO for a scratched holder. I have a holdered card I paid over $400 for on eBay that has a plethora of scratches. I was not amused. I used WD40, as I heard that would work. It blunted the scratches---maybe. So, thanks ever so much for the lead, PaulMaul, and ya'll!!!!

Happier collecting, guys! ---- Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

@IndianaJones said:
    I have a holdered card I paid over $400 for on eBay that has a plethora of scratches.

myslabs.to/smzcards

It's not common, but I've had submissions back from PSA with scratches on them. So it's good to have a back up plan :)

• spanky74spanky74 Posts: 240 ✭✭✭

Buy the holder, not the card...wait

• IndianaJonesIndianaJones Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

Well, Jefe, it's like this: when I first heard the word "plethora", it piqued my natural curiosity, and so I looked it up it my Mom's old American College dictionary. Plethora means overfullness or superabundance, and that otherwise gorgeous Maurice Richard card indeed had a whole lot of little itzy-bitzie scratches on it. I was ticked, but it was such a rare card I was most assuredly going to keep it. So, as a result of this relevant thread, some day I'll put some Meguiar's PlastX on the holder!

Take care, mate, and isn't nice to learn a new word to add to your vocabulary! --- Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

How on earth can a bubble mailer scratch a PSA slab?

My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭

Dosent bother me at all and I don’t use them. Shoot Psa does not ship with them. A bubble mailer will not cause scratches so there no need for a sleeve. Any scratches come directly from Psa usuAlly. It’s not a big deal

# 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • amp0909amp0909 Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

I've looked for the Meguire's. Can't find it. Maybe the places around me don't stock it or they're out.

@amp0909 said:
    I've looked for the Meguire's. Can't find it. Maybe the places around me don't stock it or they're out.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Basic-Headlight-Restoration-Kit/dp/B01M35VXJ8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1541184654&sr=8-4&keywords=meguiars+plastx&dpID=51yoFMieoHL&preST=SY300_QL70&dpSrc=srch

myslabs.to/smzcards

• sinoth23sinoth23 Posts: 152 ✭✭

Nice looking results on the Beltre...going to buy a bottle. Thanks guys for the info.

@amp0909 said:

I got it at Auto Zone.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    I used to worry about scratches because they do bother me. But then I discovered
    this stuff. I never believed something like this could work but it completely removes anything but the deepest scratches and makes a PSA case look like new. Fantastic product.

So this isn't a wacky pack card?

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

@JHS5120 said:

I have purchased 2 slabbed cards before (Not a lot of $) and they rubbed together in the bubble envelope and were scratched a bit....

• fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

That’s what the bubble envelope is for.Never had a problem.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)

@CdnOsfan said:

@JHS5120 said:

I have purchased 2 slabbed cards before (Not a lot of $) and they rubbed together in the bubble envelope and were scratched a bit....

I only sell my PSA cards in a graded card sleeve, cardboard backing and bubble wrap. so its a non-issue for me. 95% of the PSA cards I buy come in sleeves too. the ones that don't are the sole card in the package so they don't scratch.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Great info here, this is what I use. Works on chrome cards and slabs.

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Zymol car wax is always what I've used. Use it on slabs and refractors. Plus the smell makes me happy

• I’ve never had a problem, but I’m typically shipping one slab.

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    I used to worry about scratches because they do bother me. But then I discovered
    this stuff. I never believed something like this could work but it completely removes anything but the deepest scratches and makes a PSA case look like new. Fantastic product.

thanks.. i will use it on old cards
    I love sleeves now though

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

So now we have to detail our cards! Geesh!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭

@Cakes said:

@Cakes said:

LMAO

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

paulmaul you are the man. if we ever meet i buy you beer. this case was such an eyesore that i refused to look at this card. i tried everything and could not eliminate the cloudiness. then, some meguiar magic

works beautifully on scratches too

• PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

Not at all, I have to remove them for storage so they will stack and stay in place.

• MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

Absolutely. Every graded card should have a sleeve when sent. Period. No exceptions

edited November 19, 2018 9:51PM

Start rant....
    When someone uses scotch tape anywhere inside a package containing cards. Don't use it to tape the card savers together. Don't use it to tape the top of the toploader. Don't use it anywhere!!! If you need to use tape use the blue or green painters tape like a pro. It comes right off without Goo Gone and I can reuse the toploader or cardsaver. I have not resorted to negging someone for it yet, but it is getting close.
    End rant...

Kris

• ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭

I may need your eBay ID so i can block you. Not because I use tape, but because......well, it's obvious.

Hey. Let's not get carried away now! LOL

Kris