Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

REA Auction issues

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

looks like the auction is closed now. What a mess.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

They did say under no circumstance will it go past 1230

• Options

This lot is closed. Bidding is not allowed.

Item was in Auction "REA Fall 2018",
    which ran from 10/5/2018 5:00 PM to
    10/29/2018 5:11 AM

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those problems including reboot of the webpage were a buzzkill. Am sure it cost the AH and consignors a few bucks. I won a couple of lots but between the Sox game and the constant crashes and freezes, I just decided to let many of my early bids ride.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

I was going to bid on the Carew Pepsi I realized I could buy so many cool cards with 4k that would make me happier. First time that's ever happened to me. Although it was a good deal . I just didnt feel the sexiness ...what's happening to me ..was it because m the sgc holder ? Was it the fact it was a nm7? Was it the fact that I could not added to the registry? Was it the website issues? Collecting is about happiness and that card wasn't bringing it...it was a sound investment though..that card is one of the rarest topps issues ...anyways .. congrats to the winners and may your newest acquisitions bring happiness to your home.!!!

• Options

@MLBdays said:
    I had my eye on that gorgeously centered '48-'49 Leaf Babe Ruth EX- 5 ..... I was on the fence and then with conviction I decided to take a stab .....& then poof ....I went to sleep.

Haha

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

That was my first REA auction and what a mess. I was only bidding on a couple things and the main item surpassed my "limit" well before the initial bidding ended and the technical issues started. The other item, well, it was odd. I had been the high bidder for 4 days but thought maybe i should up my autobid...which I did in the "overtime". Very shortly after that, another bid was placed equal to my autobid. I upped it again, another $100. One hour later the same thing happened and I upped my bid $100. Finally I decided I wasn't going any higher and the site kept crashing so I just gave up.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

There's another company that has spent billions upgrading their hardware and software to run on-line auctions that don't crash, that close at a reasonable hour, where you can see the bids, and you don't need a degree in bid-increments to perch on the top. Called e-bay.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options

@Sdub said:
    There's another company that has spent billions upgrading their hardware and software to run on-line auctions that don't crash, that close at a reasonable hour, where you can see the bids, and you don't need a degree in bid-increments to perch on the top. Called e-bay.

I agree but then why do people use REA ?

• Options
    russkcparusskcpa Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited October 29, 2018 11:20AM

I had 11 high dollar items on my watch list (3-969-970-981-982-1953-2394-2399-2405-2445-2449) and I believe only 2 moved in extended bidding. I was high bidder during regular bidding on 2 of those items but could not get on the site from 6PM on except for a few times after a long wait (and then it always froze) I expected outbids but gave up after the 11:42 PM email about another extension.

• Options

i think i got sniped at 1240 am in another item.. when i thought no more bids after 1230

Last email went to spam....

I think lots of bidders starting bidding after the world series win ..lol

• Options
    PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lawyer05 said:

@Sdub said:

I would say for the exposure but Ebay no doubt reaches more people. I, personally, would prefer that auction houses not use the extended bidding periods. Most likely the items have been visible for 2 weeks to a month and there's plenty of time to bid. Set an end time and that's when it's done. Allow bidders to set a time and amount that they would like their final bid placed....snipe.
    I would think that if a large AH has a multi-million dollar auction, maybe they could work negotiate to actually use the Ebay platform and only pay a very small %. That might even balance out with the costs associated to run their auction website. Of course, they also will need to make all payment options available as well. I don't know, I'm just over here thinking out loud.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

@djr said:
    I wonder if it was Create Auction's fault? Good news, I 'won' :D

I'm sure the payment processing software is working just fine for you to send your money in immediately.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow...some of those prices on the 60's football sets are insane.

If that is what these sets are getting, I am consigning all of my football to REA next auction.

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=53929

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

@lawyer05 said:

@Sdub said:

I don’t get why any auction house exists for sports cards and memorabilia other than eBay.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got blasted on all the baseball sets I was targeting. Glitches or no glitches, there were no deals to be had on the higher grade sets.

• Options
    81 Topps Guy81 Topps Guy Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

@Nathaniel1960 said:

If that is what these sets are getting, I am consigning all of my football to REA next auction.

$66 per raw card on a mostly Ex Mint set, that is beyond insane

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭

@rcmb3220 said:

@lawyer05 said:

@Sdub said:

I don’t get why any auction house exists for sports cards and memorabilia other than eBay.

A lot of items you'll never see offered on ebay. Auction houses get more eyes, and their auction is more of an event than daily ebay offerings. Lastly, there are a lot of higher end buyers that rarely, if ever, buy on ebay.
    If you have something in very high demand and scarce, or a condition rarity, auction houses will almost always bring you a higher sale price. And in a rising market like the current one sometimes you just have no idea how much something is worth, and it's best to let the market decide.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@81 Topps Guy said:

@Nathaniel1960 said:

$66 per raw card on a mostly Ex Mint set, that is beyond insane

That is crazy. The entire set in PSA 8 graded condition is under $7500 with one caveat in that there is no VCP value for a PSA 8 Funny Rings Checklist. Maybe the buyer is hoping the checklist will grade out an 8. It's more likely a 7 though.