Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1971 Topps baseball; worth grading?

What kind of potential grades am I looking at if I send these cards in? Thoughts and opinions welcomed from the board.

I know 1971 Topps is a tough issue to get graded but I still thought these 2 HOF pitchers were worthy of purchasing.

I picked both of these up for fairly cheap yesterday. Examining the borders/edges they do no appear to be re-colored.

The Blyleven has really nice centering and eye appeal. Bottom left corner has some issue but doesn’t look to be a bend or ding. Almost looks more like a small surface scratch. Bottom right corner is a little soft too. Rest of the card looks really nice IMO

The Nolan Ryan looks pretty good too but is obviously off center.

-Collecting anything vintage

Comments

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there paper missing on the back of the Blyleven?

• Options
    JimMeantJimMeant Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

@daltex said:
    Is there paper missing on the back of the Blyleven?

No, don’t believe so

-Collecting anything vintage
  • Options
    ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

5, 6 (OC)

Andy

• Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Nice pickups. FWIW I personally would enjoy them in their raw state and skip the grading on these two. Probably not very cost effective to send to PSA (though admittedly Ive sent in cards that made way less sense than these would.)

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    CSUrunandstunCSUrunandstun Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

Ryan left edge may be miscut

Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

I think a 5 or 6 at most on the Blyleven.

Here is a 7. I think the centering on yours may be a little nicer, but those edges will kill you.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black