Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Should I authenticate this (I think) 1979 Yankees Team Baseball

I identified Reggie Jackson, Lou Pinella, Ron Guidry, Dennis Werth, Tommy John, Rich Gossage, Willie Randolph.

My buddy owns a pawn shop and focuses on guns and jewlery. He gives me stuff to sell time to time if it's sports related.

Would you guys authenticate it or sell it as probably authentic but not sure at all?

Most of the stuff he gives me to sell is legit. Alot of it already authenticated. Is there any reason to suspect it's fake? The R in reggie jacksons name bothers me. Almost all of his sigs have a loop going behind the R then back across and down to complete the letter. But I know my sig varies wildly so it's not remotely definitely fake because of that.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Looks real to me

Has one of my all time favorites on it
    Bobby Murcer .........deceased

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    GilbeyGilbey Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

I think the Pinella is off in addition to the Jackson. Granted they are on bats but neither of these match up with mine. Hopefully I am wrong though.

• Options
    CARDSANDCOINSCARDSANDCOINS Posts: 340 ✭✭✭

Without Thurman munson, dont waste your money on authentication

• Options
    JewVolJewVol Posts: 110 ✭✭

@CARDSANDCOINS said:
    Without Thurman munson, dont waste your money on authentication

If authenticated what is resale with and without munson?

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a 1980 ball. Joe Lefebvre and Bob Watson were not on the ‘79 team.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Murcer was also not on the 79 team. He was back with the Yankees starting 1980
    I agee with the above

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    jmbjmb Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Murcer was absolutely on the 79 team. He had all 5 RBI's the 1st game played after Munson's death.

• Options

@jmb said:
    Murcer was absolutely on the 79 team. He had all 5 RBI's the 1st game played after Munson's death.

Yeah, he rejoined the Yanks in June of ‘79.

• Options

Photo #1 ?, Dennis Werth, Ron Guidry, Eric Soderholm, Oscar Gamble. Photo #3 Rick Cerone, Graig Nettles, Lou Piniella, Jeff Torborg, Bob Watson. Photo #4 Mike Ferraro, Bobby Murcer, Luis Tiant, Rudy May. Photo #6 Joe Lefebvre, Tommy John, ?, Fred Stanley, Rich Gossage. Does anyone know the first name on the first photo or the third name on the last photo?

• Options

@1963ellsworth22and10 said:
    Photo #1 ?, Dennis Werth, Ron Guidry, Eric Soderholm, Oscar Gamble. Photo #3 Rick Cerone, Graig Nettles, Lou Piniella, Jeff Torborg, Bob Watson. Photo #4 Mike Ferraro, Bobby Murcer, Luis Tiant, Rudy May. Photo #6 Joe Lefebvre, Tommy John, ?, Fred Stanley, Rich Gossage. Does anyone know the first name on the first photo or the third name on the last photo?

I think the first one on photo one is Jim Hegan, who was a bullpen coach in 1980. The other is pretty illegible.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not to derail but I have always wondered what happens to a ball, glossy, etc... that has 90% legit signatures but maybe one of the keys is fake. For example what if your ball is legit except the Reggie auto.

Either way since it's a Yanks ball I would send it in. Good luck.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    momo1234momo1234 Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

are you looking to sell it? otherwise why bother authenticate?

• Options
    JewVolJewVol Posts: 110 ✭✭

@momo1234 said:
    are you looking to sell it? otherwise why bother authenticate?

Yes. 100% trying to sell it and maximize wwhat I get for it.

• Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Pic under the Reggie auto pic has Bob Watson sig at the bottom.

Watson played for the Red Sox in 79 and Yankees in 1980-82.

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store