Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

2002 and up baseball HOF rookies

I was examining my latest issue of SMR. While glancing through the prices of baseball cards from 2002 and up, I came to the realization that there are very few players that even come close to being a HOFer, and thus being a valuable card 10 years from now. Here are a few HOF candidates from those years:

1) Cano 2003 - But had his problems this year with PED's
2) Verlander - but pitcher cards have always been on the down low (Except Nolan)
3) Scherzer - same as 2
4) Kershaw - same as 2
5) Trout - great player on a pitiful team
6) Altuve - mainly a singles, double hitter.

after these guys, it's marginable/good players but not over the top great HOF type players. In my opinion only two from that list that are major superstars are Trout and Kershaw. That's alot of years (16). Remember when people were paying big money for Wright, Mauer, Dozier, Harper, Machado, Strasberg. Some people lost their rear end.

Lesson here is to wait about 7 or so years to invest major coin on baseball players. By the year 2028 or so, the HOF inductees will probably all be old timers, like tommy John, Jim kaat.

Work hard and you will succeed!!

Comments

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 older guys you could add as potential HOFers are greinke and Molina. Molina i think is already gonna be in, and greinke just needs a handful more good years. There are plenty of younger guys with potential though to have HOF careers. I’d keep an eye on freeman, Arenado, goldschmidt, Stanton, Machado, Betts, altuve, and Lindor.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

Think Harper gets there. He has 922 hits and 184 home runs at the age of 25 along with an MVP and a Rookie of the Year award.

Stanton is only 28 and has 305 home runs. He already has an MVP.

Consider both of them superstars as well.

Think we undervalue many players based on the fact that Trout is a once every 50 year level player and everyone else pales by comparison.

• Options
    scotgrebscotgreb Posts: 808 ✭✭✭

Will give this some more thought but the one that immediately comes to mind is Miguel Cabrera.

Already a first-ballot lock.

Scott

• Options
    CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2018 11:25AM

1 year earlier but Ichiro is a first ballot....also Pujols same year....

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

I would include Harper and Stanton as well, still very young and have some impressive numbers. When looking at potential HOFers I look at the age they start. Some don't have good stats until the age of 26, while others have better stats at 22. Some potential others who got early starts - Correa, Arenado, Machado

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know some aren’t Into relievers being in the HOF but I’d consider Kimbrel and Jansen as potential HOFers If they each have a handful more dominant years.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

@orioles93 said:
    I know some aren’t Into relievers being in the HOF but I’d consider Kimbrel and Jansen as potential HOFers If they each have a handful more dominant years.

We'll have a much clearer view on those two in about a week, esp Kimbrel. He had a lousy playoffs thus far. A performance in a single WS shouldnt make or break a HoF case, but in his case it very well might if he blows it or is dominating. Jansen is way behind him IMO but a breakout performance here could put him in the elite category.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone feel Buster Posey is on his way?
    3 championships, MVP, ROY, 6 AS and has decent stats for a catcher

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets