Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GIVEAWAY! CLOSED Congrats Type2!

HeatherBoydHeatherBoyd Posts: 406 admin
edited November 1, 2018 1:20PM in U.S. Coin Forum

*** GIVEAWAY CLOSED ***

Winner: @Type2

Hello All,

As promised in my upcoming specials and events post, we will be hosting giveaways on all of our social channel's to celebrate PCGS surpassing 40 million coins graded and encapsulated. If you would like to enter to win the forum prize package, the rules are simple.** I want to know how you got into coin collecting! **

Everyone who shares their story in this thread will be entered into a random drawing this Friday 10/26 at 11:00 AM PST.

So what can you win?

A limited edition PCGS Coinfacts Periodic Table of Coins Poster, 30-year anniversary collectible PCGS medal, sample slab, lanyards, collectible greenbox, pens, the current edition of the Rare Coin Market Report and a PCGS polo (in your size). Just to be extra clear, the giveaway is NOT for 40 million coins :)

For more chances to win, participate in one of the other giveaways!

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PCGSCOIN/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/PCGScoin
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/pcgscoin/ (Beautiful TrueView coin images hand selected by our talented photographer Phil Arnold)

Heather Boyd
PCGS Senior Director of Marketing

Comments

• Options
    JasonGamingJasonGaming Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭

I really don’t know what got me into coin collecting. I was around ten when I started, and I guess I just read a magazine with a coin advertisement in it. It looked cool, so I got my parents to buy me that coin. That sprouted into buying more expensive coins from my money, and the rest is history.

Always buying nice toned coins! Searching for a low grade 1873 Arrows DDO Dime and 1842-O Small Date Quarter.

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

easy i got into collecting when i went overseas in 1996 and got my first world coin as change and well i was hooked and have kept collecting since then

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/xzkzU4iw8kKippX27

• Options
    HallcoHallco Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Heather. I didn't start collecting until I was well into adulthood. I'm not embarrassed to say that "Coin Vault" with Robert Chambers and Paul Hollis on Shop at Home TV selling Sacagawea Dollars created my interest I was not interested in spending premiums to buy the nicer ones, but started collecting them from circulation. Of course the State quarter program was going on at the time as well and EVERYONE around me seemed to be collecting those. I didn't care anything about those, but during the shows they would offer many other coins. All kinds of gold, silver and copper coins, mint & proof sets, Morgans and Peace Dollars...tons of cool stuff! :) I remember waking up early in the morning and watching before going to work just to see what they were going to show. I never bought anything from them because even when I was in the infancy stages of my knowledge I knew the prices were not "fair"... but they inspired me to do my own research and learn about numismatics. I collected pretty intensely for about 7 years in the early-mid 2000s, then left for 10 years to pursue other hobby interests. I have been back for a few months. Very happy(so far) with the choice to return!

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was a kid my father bought all of us the current year proof set. Then he bought a Capital Plastics Proof Set holder in a different color for each of us and put the set into it. This yearly event happened for may years. I still have those sets.

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭✭

My Dad and moderns got me into this. He liked to collect coins pulled out of pocket change, typically anything earlier than 1965 he would simply toss into a large glass jar. At the time it seemed like superstition to me, after all why put coins in a jar instead of spending them? I did not show interest in coins at all until the state quarter program when my Dad showed such a high level of enthusiasm and that started it for me. I decided to collect all of them as well and before I knew it I discovered all the various types of old US coinage. Since then I've ditched the moderns and I'm currently hooked on CBH.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got into coin collecting as a young kid due to my father's box of family heirloom coins (bust halves, 20 cent pieces, etc.), and my grandmother's collection of silver dollars and gold coins. Fun times going through all those treasures.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

When my father passed away in 2007, I was tasked with disposing of his coin collection. There was a lot of "bullion" silver- rolls of franklins, circ washies and roosies, worn Buffs and so on. The appraiser, a local collector, sort of stoked my interest in the hobby, and after the collection was sold I started buying. The only coin I had purchased prior to that was when I was about 12, at local show. From then until I went to college I was into stamps!

• Options
    PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

Started off my collecting journey by buying some silver eagles as an investment. Looking for more interesting and attractive bullion, I soon learned about historic US coinage and was hooked by both the beauty and history. Unfortunately I haven't had any other collectors in my life as mentors, but learning every day with the help of the fantastic resources that PCGS publishes, and the vast knowledge here on the forum. Congrats on 40M!

• Options
    RollermanRollerman Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭✭✭

When the Memorial Reverse replaced the wheat back Lincoln cents, a buddy of mine and I started hoarding the wheat backs and we both then got a coin folders for them. When my Dad saw how interested we were, he said he had a surprise for me. He produced a leather pouch of unusual coins he purchased out of the cash register at the gas station he worked in as a very young man. There were IHC's, older Lincolns, an 1870 Newfoundland Half, Mercury Dimes, a couple of "V" nickels AND an 1837 Large Cent in Fine condition that really grabbed my attention and spurred my interest. It's been a lifelong hobby that I have enjoyed immensely.

The only bad advice my Dad ever gave me was that I should "clean up" the IHC's and put them in an album. My Dad lived to be 96 years old and after he passed, I completed that IHC set in his memory though all the cleaned coins had been phased out. The Mercury Dimes was completed many years before, that set was in honor of my Mother who I remember rolling dimes to take to the bank when I was a young kid. I used to get a Peace dollar from the tooth fairy when I was very young. I thought her face was that of the tooth fairy at the time! To teach me to save, they encouraged me to save the dollar (they just recycled that same Peace dollar after that I have a feeling. It's been a great ride and it's still continuing.

"Ain't None of Them play like him (Bix Beiderbecke) Yet."
    Louis Armstrong
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many years ago, my sister-in-law bought me a Lincoln penny folder. She gave me a handful of circulated cents, and showed me what to do. I was hooked forever!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got my start coin collecting with my grandfather when I was probably 8-10 years old. He was a small time collector and kept his coins in old tobacco tins and cigar boxes. I imagine that get got most of his stuff from change and from his job as a bakery delivery man. I can remember looking through his cigar box of coins when I was a child. One day, he let me pick out several to keep and take home. I picked out several mercury dimes because at that time, I had never seen one before. I still have several of those starter coins in one of the coin books I keep.

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2018 8:02PM

It was my Dad after he went to the gas station the man took his .75 cents turned out it was $3.00 3-SBA he gave him and my dad and the guy had a long talking, That is when I ask what happen and he told me these darn coins but he did not say darn coin he said they look just like Quarters I ask to see one, I was hooked from there on for the longest time I thought they where called darn $1.00 haha back then Gas was .39 cents a gallon. Crazy when I think about it. Thanks for the chance and good luck to every one and be safe out there.

PS: Welcome oneofeverything.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was a kid, my Grandparents lived next door to us. My Mom was a High School teacher. One day in February 1961 I was sick and had to stay home from school with my Grandparents. My Mom felt guilty about having to go to school and leave me. On her way home from school she bought me a Whitman folder ( cost 35 cents ) for Lincoln Cents. I was hooked from the first day.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mt grandfather had a small collection and I would like looking at them when I went and visited. He would give me stuff on occasion, like an circulated indian head cent.

Thanks for the generous giveaway.

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

I actually can’t remember how I got in but it was at a very young age, I was bitten by the coin bug and never stopped.

Many happy BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file