Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PWCC

Is it just me or does it seem that PWCC has people that run up auctions? I’ve now came across two different auctions that I’ve been watching where the same person has bid on two of the same cards of the same grade. Has anyone noticed this with their auctions? Seriously shakes my confidence in this auction house!

Comments

• Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

Could you list the auctions you’re speaking of?

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    djy2500djy2500 Posts: 42 ✭✭

About a week ago, PWCC had 5 or 6 bowman Clayton kershaw psa 10’s for auction and all of them had the same bidder who jumped the bids from a few bucks to over $30. Just seemed sketchy to me. Not something I’ve ever noticed with probstein123 auctions.

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@djy2500 said:
    About a week ago, PWCC had 5 or 6 bowman Clayton kershaw psa 10’s for auction and all of them had the same bidder who jumped the bids from a few bucks to over $30. Just seemed sketchy to me. Not something I’ve ever noticed with probstein123 auctions.

Kevin

• Options

@djy2500 I think it was probably a lot to do with the Dodgers playing in the playoffs, Kershaw pitched well in the series and a buyer adding more than one card at a time. I’m watching three of the same cards that end tonight and plan on trying to win all three.

And if you watch enough auctions, you will find that the potential shilling or shenanigans being played with auctions occurs with Probstein, PWCCand everyone else. Those two just happen to run the majority of the auctions being run on EBAY and have the most transparency.

Matt
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m hesitant to accuse anyone of shilling but wouldn’t be surprised if there is something shady going on with any auction/auction house. I protect myself by bidding a number that I won’t pay anymore on. I’ve bid on cards and lost out on big money cards by $1 bids numerous times and think that it’s ok since it could be a legit buyer and we both saved money not getting into a bidding war OR a potential shill bit the guilty parties in the rear end.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@RookieHOFers said:

bro its everyhwhere
    so many posts on this issue ......

• Options
    demondeacsdemondeacs Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

I'm sure it happens but people buy duplicates of rookies in the same grade all the time whether it's fixed price or auction. Means nothing.

• Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Those cards are small potatoes.

• Options

1959 Braves PSA 8 sell in the last 3 months for
    $21
    $26
    $29
    $27
    $29
    $37
    $35
    Along comes PWCC this week and sells for $60.....
    AWESOME MARKETING !!!

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

There is a formula for this: SB+ PQ + HE = record-breaking prices

SB = shill bidding, and PQ & HE are the newly-defined (by PWCC) premium quality and high end.

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options

@lawyer05 said:

@RookieHOFers said:

bro its everyhwhere
    so many posts on this issue ......

If you think I am being naive your wrong. I am keenly aware of the shilling that occurs with PWCC, Probstein and everywhere else. It’s everywhere!! It’s not a PWCC only problem.

I asked the question to see the auction so I could see what the OP was talking about. Rather than just accuse PWCC of running up their auctions I prefer to take a minute to research and form my own opinion.

Matt
  • Options

pwcc is not running up their auctions, they just do a better job of marketing

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Yawn...

• Options
    PatsGuy5000PatsGuy5000 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

PWCC auctions definitely command higher prices in general. Have had great success buying from them and Probstein, I just bid as high as I am comfortable with and lose far more than I win.

• Options
    BigRed7BigRed7 Posts: 245 ✭✭✭

Won seven items in one of their auctions, sent a message for combined shipping and I'm still waiting for the invoice so I can pay, been a week.

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

They're busy building a new headquarters :)

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigRed7 said:
    Won seven items in one of their auctions, sent a message for combined shipping and I'm still waiting for the invoice so I can pay, been a week.

Sometimes things fall through the cracks. They've been very responsive to me. Maybe contact again?

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@krisd3279 said:
    They're busy building a new headquarters :)

You mean a bomb shelter! That sucker looks like it could survive a direct hit.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure if that is also their new 'VAULT' service, or if that is located somewhere else. That could explain the use of what look to be stand up concrete walls. What they are trying to do with the vault and other financial services they are planning is really interesting. I don't think my collection is nice enough to make use of any of it, but it might be good for someone with a larger investment. I have been using the auction sales info they have on their site recently. It's interesting to see how the prices have increased over the last several years on certain vintage items.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@djy2500 said:
    Is it just me or does it seem that PWCC has people that run up auctions? I’ve now came across two different auctions that I’ve been watching where the same person has bid on two of the same cards of the same grade. Has anyone noticed this with their auctions? Seriously shakes my confidence in this auction house!

It's not just you. They've been accused of this hundreds of times. Same with Probstein123.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike
  • Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Love the nes meme

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

PWCC gets high marks from me as a bidder/buyer. I'm not a consignor however because I'm a greedy B---ard ;) The last few months I've bid and won a few cards, nothing major high dollar, but still important cards to me. First bidding I've done with PWCC since 2009. They have treated me communication and shipping wise as if I were a high grade Mantle , Mays, etc buyer. Spot on and professional in those areas with me. Zero issues, and the fastest shipping I can recall from Oregon to South Carolina.