Home Q & A Forum

1968 - D Kennedy Half 90% Silver?

So I have a friend who says he has found a 90% silver 1968 - D Kennedy Half. i know after 1964 they were all made 40%. Is there any chance he has found something? Sorry I am out of my depths on this one completely.

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Matt0224 said:
    So I have a friend who says he has found a 90% silver 1968 - D Kennedy Half. i know after 1964 they were all made 40%. Is there any chance he has found something? Sorry I am out of my depths on this one completely.

Unlikely. Why would they have any 90% silver planchets laying around at that point? Not, impossible. But unlikely.

On what is he basing this claim?

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

So is this friend trying to get you to buy this here treasure coin? Maybe this lad be letting you takes an image of three of this here coin? Aarrgg! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do I by chance have the winning lottery ticket for this week's $900 million jackpot? Could be, but the odds are 100s of millions to 1.

The odds that your friend has a 90% 1968 half are probably about the same or likely worse than my odds of winning the lottery, but stranger things have happened.

There are so many other possibilities that are infinitely more likely: he's wrong in his assessment; it's plated; it's counterfeit, etc. But, if you get pics (including of the edge) I am sure some people here can help narrow down the possibilities.

But, hey, a couple years ago I found an error that was a one in a billion coin (or many billions, or trillions), so I can attest that anything is possible.

• shinywhiteshinywhite Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    Do I by chance have the winning lottery ticket for this week's $900 million jackpot? Could be, but the odds are 100s of millions to 1.

The odds that your friend has a 90% 1968 half are probably about the same or likely worse than my odds of winning the lottery, but stranger things have happened.

There are so many other possibilities that are infinitely more likely: he's wrong in his assessment; it's plated; it's counterfeit, etc. But, if you get pics (including of the edge) I am sure some people here can help narrow down the possibilities.

But, hey, a couple years ago I found an error that was a one in a billion coin (or many billions, or trillions), so I can attest that anything is possible.

I would like to know what error coin you are referring to. Please good sir...tia

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

@shinywhite said:

@JBK said:

I would like to know what error coin you are referring to. Please good sir...tia

2016 P nickel struck over a 2015 P nickel.

• shinywhiteshinywhite Posts: 346 ✭✭✭

Sweet!^^^. I didnt know they existed. Got to be very rare. Congrats on the find

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

chances are low but not impossible. They have different weights so can easily tell with decent scale. 12,50 grams versus 11.50 grams.