Home U.S. Coin Forum

So I made the cherrypick of a lifetime a few months back... AU 1888/7 Indian Head Cent.

FadeToBlackFadeToBlack Posts: 7,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 15, 2018 7:24PM in U.S. Coin Forum

And now that the dust has settled, I'd like to share my pics of it with everybody.

I was honest with the owner and did pay him well for it after I identified the variety for him. It is in a PCGS 55+ holder now. I think it's undergraded, to be frank.

Comments

• HallcoHallco Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! I don't know anything about the coin, but it looks great!

• AngryTurtleAngryTurtle Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭

I remember an interesting thread on these ( by EagleEye perhaps), but didn't know they were so valuable!

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

You suck!

Is there a TrueView of it?

Are you going to keep it or sell it?

• dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

So are there any other diagnostics considering I can’t even see a 7 under the 8? :o
    You did well to catch that puppy.

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are some surprises in collections that surface. This was sure a nice surprise for sure!
    I second, or third, the YOU SUCK.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a long thread with two camps arguing whether it’s an over date or not. Personally, I don’t think so. But popularity trumps logic...

edited October 15, 2018 7:49PM

@tradedollarnut said:
    There was a long thread with two camps arguing whether it’s an over date or not. Personally, I don’t think so. But popularity trumps logic...

PCGS authenticated it as a 1888/7. Do you think it should be sent in for reconsideration?

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/36149334

@FadeToBlack said:

@Zoins said:

@tradedollarnut said:

PCGS authenticated it as a 1888/7. Do you think it should be sent in for reconsideration?

He's talking about the variety in general, not discounting this example as belonging to the die.

Ah, well popularity often trumps logic in numismatics so that part wouldn't be new :o

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you had gotten the PVC off, it might have graded higher. Nice find.

thefinn
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FadeToBlack said:

@Zoins said:

@tradedollarnut said:

He's talking about the variety in general, not discounting this example as belonging to the die.

Exactly

• Was it this one from eBay?

I used to hunt these religiously on eBay, and found 3 over time (all G-VG). But it was slow -- I found maybe 1 a year and eventually my enthusiasm petered out.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really impressive cherry! Noice!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great eye! I respect a good pick from a bad picture, it is not easy. I do this on eBay often, Or try to lol.

I see a little nipple under the corner of the 8 where the lower tip of the 7 was/is. Great diagnostic with the cud. Little details like that make the effort and knowledge payoff.

• DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

And it is so minor too. The only thing about is that it would be the only overdate of the series, and that's why it must be so glorified.

Doug
  • thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FadeToBlack said:

@thefinn said:
    If you had gotten the PVC off, it might have graded higher. Nice find.

There is no PVC. It's lightly toned.

What's the green stuff at the lower right ribbon and stem? Verdigris?

thefinn
  • ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2018 9:26PM

Congrats! That is the most beautiful one I've seen in awhile and boy the price is out of this world..... Congrats again!

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very cool!

• Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet, nice pick-up, congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AngryTurtle said:
    I remember an interesting thread on these ( by EagleEye perhaps), but didn't know they were so valuable!

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/871245/the-biggest-cherrypick-ever

• ClioClio Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet find man. Got that eagle eye! You should definitely share one more photo of it...... You know which one.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• ldhairldhair Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was wondering when you would start showing the coin. Great find. It's really cool that you helped the young man get a fair deal for the coin. A lot of folks would not have done that. You have my respect.

Larry

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

A rare coin like this must have been in serious collections over the years, there must be a story behind the overdate, I'll have to check out the coinfacts article, thanks for sharing.

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great find!!!

I don't think your average dealer would have been as honorable.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love stories like this and how nice for dealers and collectors to partner with each other!

@EagleEye , It feels great to double dip right?!

• ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great pick. Congratulations @FadeToBlack .

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EagleEye said:

@yosclimber said:

@AngryTurtle said:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/871245/the-biggest-cherrypick-ever

I was the buyer of #FadeToBlack 1888/7. My customer was the original purchaser of the XF coin that was described in the "Cherrypick for $47" thread. He sold it back and I posted it on my web site as "Rick Snow's cherrypick coin". it sold within 15 minutes ($14,500). The #FadeToBlack 1888/7 sold for $35,000.

Every 1888/7 seems to carry an interesting story with it.

Wow!

Collector, occasional seller

• SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, congratulations!!

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cherry pick of a lifetime confirmed.
    Congratulations to all the parties involved!
    Interesting coin!

It's all about what the people want...

• calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

congratulations and thanks for the education on the diagnostics

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• USMarine6USMarine6 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh ya that a "YOU SUCK" all the way

• au58au58 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭

@FadeToBlack said:

@Zoins said:
    You suck!

Already sold. Couldn't justify keeping it, not when I had to pay back the person who loaned me the money to do the transaction.

The Trueview is below;

I don't understand. If you had to sell it in order to pay back the money you had to borrow to buy it, how much of a cherry pick was it? Was it already attributed as an overdate and did you just figure that it was undergraded?

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

@au58 said:
    I don't understand. If you had to sell it in order to pay back the money you had to borrow to buy it, how much of a cherry pick was it? Was it already attributed as an overdate and did you just figure that it was undergraded?

Cherrypick was just the thrill of finding a rare variety in this case.
    He paid the seller based on the market value, not on the unattributed value.

• kazkaz Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on a phenomenal find!

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

"The #FadeToBlack 1888/7 sold for $35,000." I'm just curious what the economics are on this, what was paid on what valuation, and what the 55/58 spreads are?

• jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hell of a find period!!

• savitalesavitale Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EagleEye said:

I was the buyer of #FadeToBlack 1888/7. My customer was the original purchaser of the XF coin that was described in the "Cherrypick for $47" thread. He sold it back and I posted it on my web site as "Rick Snow's cherrypick coin". it sold within 15 minutes ($14,500). The #FadeToBlack 1888/7 sold for $35,000.

Every 1888/7 seems to carry an interesting story with it.

Wow. Congrats to all!

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fade to black needs to fade to Hawaii for a few weeks. I sure would!!!

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FadeToBlack said:

@au58 said:

@FadeToBlack said:

@Zoins said:
    You suck!

Already sold. Couldn't justify keeping it, not when I had to pay back the person who loaned me the money to do the transaction.

The Trueview is below;

Perhaps this will clarify it. Some naughty language was censored, and the usernames involved were also censored, as I don't have permission from them to post this screenshot. This is the moment of discovery.

Blue = Original Owner
    Green = User 2
    Yellow = User 3
    Pink = User 4

I obviously didn't censor my name.

The finer points of the deal were worked out in the weeks following the discovery.

I was confused before and now I am even more so.

• 3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hell Yeah @FadeToBlack ...that’s worth all 57 recently dropped NOICE!!!’s with a !!!B) on top!

...also...I love the avatar of Doc on the minor league forum ;)

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love the look. Fabulous cherry pick! Congrats!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

As actress Mamie Van Doren said in an old 1950's movie, fantabulous!

• morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another key date/variety that is locked into my memory base for ever. Will always look for the cud at the rim above TED in UNITED ON 1888 IHC's. Awesome find, is that your image at the top? If so very nice, not a very drastic OD. Is the tiny piece of material on the last 8 part of the OD?

World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • DCWDCW Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the stuff dreams are made of...
    Congrats!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing....the type of find we all dream of - and few actually do....Congratulations... Cheers, RickO

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd call that a cherry-flip.... not a cherrypick.

HE>I

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take your profit now ... if you haven't already.

All glory is fleeting.
  • EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2018 7:50AM

My understanding is:
    It was posted on a chat board from a British collectors who knew nothing about it. #FadeToBlack identified it. #FadeToBlack then tried to get a deal done by making a strong offer for the coin. Either while trying to buy it, or after striking a deal, #FadeToBlack asked for my opinion. I offered $20,000 based on the fuzzy image.

What happened next:
    FadeToBlack made the deal and once the coin was in-hand he sent a much better image. Based on that, and my certainty that it was an AU58 slam-dunk, I offered $30,000. #FadeToBlack wanted to send it in to PCGS and base the price off of what it graded. I said I would like to have it in-hand and submit it. We agreed on a structured deal starting at $25,000 and splitting the profit over that amount. That way, if it graded MS63BN, no one would feel slighted.

No one thought it wouldn't grade AU58, except the graders at PCGS. After it came back AU55+, we were disappointed. My customer was expecting an AU58 as well. I was able to make a sale anyway, but took a coin in trade at full value based on a $35,000 sale price. The cash sale price was figured as $30,000.

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file