Comments

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are nice!

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

very nice coins.
    why is it difficult to find these?
    it is much harder to get a 1927 in decent shape or nearly any QV quarter.
    I usually do not specifically look for them as I seem to be drawn to QV most the time.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2019 1:25PM

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GotTheBug nice coins!!

This may be too general of a question, but is there much numismatic premium on Canadian coins pre 1940? MyLCS sells a lot for melt, although they are usually mid to low grade.

• Options

got the bug

I agree with you 100%
    I recently attended the Victoria (BC-Canada) annual coin show . I had a table. official opening was 10:00. however, $10 got anyone in at 0900 to pick.... I got lucky. sold a few interesting gold pieces and also purchased a complete set of Canada silver dollars 1935 - 1967, key dates all inclusive +. all before 0845.
    and from the same seller, a complete set of CAN large cent 1858-1920 with the Key dates each 6x.
    this is unusual. where do you find 6 1858 large cents from 1 seller? But as you say: being at the right time at the right place sure helped.

• Options
    edited August 22, 2019 1:25PM

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for that detailed answer @GotTheBug. I will put that info in my little "cherry pick crib sheet "notebook."

• Options
    edited August 22, 2019 1:28PM

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

I think Vicky 50c is the mother of all Canadian coins. Only about 1.5 million minted for the entire series. In better grades, the common dates are actually scarce. I pick up any quality piece that I can find at a reasonable price.

• Options
    edited August 22, 2019 1:28PM

• Options

IMO, QV is where IT is.
    there are some super varieties and some very scarce years. Got the Bug, you forgot the 1889 10 cent and 1887 -89-93 25 cent
    there seems to be a big "hoopl Hoop" about the 1872 25 cent with the AV, or as so known AV. for a while I fell for that Die break in the V making it look like a up/down A. However, I am sure it is ONLY a die break, similar to the 1936 quarter. Prices for the 72 have drastically changed downwards in the last year as more and more collectors are cautious.
    Has any of you ever seen a clear and "no daubt" 1872 25 cent AV where the A-crossbar is in the right position and does not look like a DB or a filled A?
    I consider this an error coin and NOT a variety.
    However, the 50 cent 1872 is a Variety. No daubt in my mind.

• Options
    edited August 22, 2019 1:29PM

• Options

Here is my 1880 AV
    I believe yours might be in better shape. But at least I have one of these scarce 1880's
    will post 87 and others later. they are not tops, but they are real.

• Options
    aj2525raj2525r Posts: 120 ✭✭

Thank you for posting, always good to learn more.

I still call my accumulation my collection!