Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Help deciding what to do with this Hank Aaron Rookie?

I'm looking to sell this card and, obviously, maximize value. As you can see, it's very sharp, but has a surface wrinkle on front that doesn't go through to back. Trying to decide whether to grade. ANY chance at a 4 or is this a 2 or 3? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

If I were subbing the card, my expectations would be the 3, with a hope for the 3.5/4. Worst case I think is a 2.5 as a 2 I think would be overly harsh. Technical grade aside, it will have better eye appeal than most comps. Good luck whatever you decide.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

If it were mine, I would have it graded.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

When you get a card like this graded that books high but will not grade high what level of service do you
    sub it under?

I would grade it also

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    ZTargZTarg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2018 7:31PM

@CARDSINLOSANGELES said:
    I'm looking to sell this card and, obviously, maximize value. As you can see, it's very sharp, but has a surface wrinkle on front that doesn't go through to back.

It definitely goes through to the back. If no other problems, then max grade is 3.

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

No shot at a 4

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would grade it regardless. card like that needs to be graded/authenticated and frankly just deserves to be slabbed for protection.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

Grade it and list the value at what a 3 sells for.

• Options
    swish54swish54 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭✭

@dictoresno said:
    I would grade it regardless. card like that needs to be graded/authenticated and frankly just deserves to be slabbed for protection.

This was my thoughts as well.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CARDSINLOSANGELES said:
    I'm looking to sell this card and, obviously, maximize value. As you can see, it's very sharp, but has a surface wrinkle on front that doesn't go through to back. Trying to decide whether to grade. ANY chance at a 4 or is this a 2 or 3? Thanks!

<<< I'm looking to sell this card and, obviously, maximize value. >>>

<<< Trying to decide whether to grade. >>>

There's nothing to really think about with a card such as this when you're looking to "sell this card" and "maximize value."

Send it in to PSA and hope for the best.

Good luck! :)

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

My way of looking at it is not to get it graded. Obviously let people know of the surface wrinkle but let them spend the money on getting it graded, it’s not like your potentially going to get into a photo finish for a 6, 7 or 8. The uneducated buyer will be bidding high on this card trying to get it in a 4 holder. Justmy way of looking at it

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting it graded by PSA will authenticate the card. Obviously it's not going to grade a 6, but it will increase the number of people who are willing to bid.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Can’t disagree with any of the stated rationale here. Everyone has their own strategies. For me, I personally won’t buy an ungraded vintage card. Not worth the risk to me of not meeting min size, trimmed, been in a screw down, etc.

• Options
    pheldaphelda Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

Wait, your hoping for an "uneducated buyer"? Why? Isn't the whole point of 3rd party authentication and grading to provide honesty, transparency and facilitate a smooth transaction for both buyer and seller. Not grading it is certainly your option, but don't be surprised if a buyer is unhappy with your assessment of the card. I also don't see the upside in waiting for an "uneducated buyer" to bid the item up, when all of the educated buyers will avoid the card and bid on an authenticated one that is graded. Do you want to make a disappointed customer? I know I'm sounding harsh and pompous, but come on. Rolling the dice and hoping to get "4" money on a "2" card?

"As you can see, it's very sharp,{ It's not sharp at all, it has extensive corner damage} but has a surface wrinkle {Its a lot more than a surface wrinkle, its significantly creased, essentially folded} on front that doesn't go through to back {Yes, the wrinkle does go all the way through the card}."

I just hope you describe the card better than this when you decide to sell it ungraded.

• Options
    edited October 15, 2018 4:32AM

@phelda said:
    ......Isn't the whole point of 3rd party authentication and grading to provide honesty, transparency and facilitate a smooth transaction for both buyer and seller.

Not at the seller's cost. Let the buyer assume that cost and if it gets rejected by a thrid party grading company for any reason he should stand behind his sale and take it back.

@phelda said:
    Not grading it is certainly your option, but don't be surprised if a buyer is unhappy with your assessment of the card.

What assessment? Sellers should show a clear high resolution scan (not picture) of the front and back and describe the important features of the card; positive and negative. eBay sellers are not third party graders, and should not put their "grade" on an ungraded card.

@phelda said:
    I also don't see the upside in waiting for an "uneducated buyer" to bid the item up, when all of the educated buyers will avoid the card and bid on an authenticated one that is graded.

Uneducated is not the best word, and the OP didnt use it anyway. There will be gamblers or maybe even card doctors that feel they can get the card into a higher graded slab than others. That is their cross to bear, not the sellers.

@phelda said:
    I know I'm sounding harsh and pompous....

Way more pompous than harsh.

@phelda said:
    Rolling the dice and hoping to get "4" money on a "2" card?

Message board readers who aren't third party graders, like yourself, should not assess grades from scans either.

And lastly. sharp can mean many things, not just baseball card corners that come to a point. When I dress sharp there is nothing pointy about me but I sure look good, like his Aaron rookie.

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

@ZTarg said
    Not at the seller's cost. Let the buyer assume that cost and if it gets rejected by a thrid party grading company for any reason he should stand behind his sale and take it back.

Sorry, I do not follow the logic here. The seller shouldn’t bear the cost of grading, but should bear the risk of the results of the grade?

• Options
    edited October 15, 2018 1:43PM

Your assessment of the card is/was WAY off. Card is well-centered, but not "sharp" and as it has been shown, the creases do show through to the back.

This is exactly why a valuable (I would say VERY attractive in this case as well) card should be graded, and graded by the seller.

This is really a "no brainer" getting it graded is really the only way to go, unless you want to get less money and/or a SNAD return. The card is certainly not as nice as you described.

Good luck with your decision. Nice card!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@GreenSneakers said:

@ZTarg said

Sorry, I do not follow the logic here. The seller shouldn’t bear the cost of grading, but should bear the risk of the results of the grade?

Did you miss the word rejected in my sentence? The seller would refund a rejected card, not a card that receives a number grade. No matter what that grade is. Do you follow the logic now that I've spoon fed it to you?

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Did you miss the word rejected in my sentence? The seller would refund a rejected card, not a card that receives a number grade. No matter what that grade is. Do you follow the logic now that I've spoon fed it to you?

First of all, your response is incredibly rude and not appropriate for this forum.

Second, no I do not understand your logic. If you buy a raw card it does not come with a guarantee that it won’t come back N6.

• Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2018 10:41AM

It all depends on what your objectives are for the card. As far as the grade it's likely to get, we're all just speculating of course, but I don't see any way this gets close to a 4.

I have a bunch T206 HOFers that have many of the same qualities of your Aaron that graded 1.5-2.0. I don't think you'd get any higher than 2.5.

That said, you increase potential buyers confidence that the card isn't trimmed, colored, or otherwise changed, so increasing the number of potential buyers than if sold as raw. My guess is many seeing the card offered raw would pass.

Good luck either way. Let us know what you decide, and if you send it in what the grade turns out to be.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options

Getting this key vintage card graded will increase its value, all things being equal. This isn't even a debatable point.

It would be foolish to not get this card graded and leave money on the table, possibly a lot of money depending on how you list the item, presumably on Ebay.

Frankly, i would NEVER buy this card raw. Could have a filled in pinhole, could have altered or colorized corners, could have an erased mark, or any number of flaws which can be difficult if not impossible to detect from a scan. I'm not saying that any of this is the case with this particular card. However, a potential buyer would have to be very naive to presume any of that couldn't be a possibility, which would greatly devalue the card...and lower the price someone is willing to pay.

Getting the card graded, eliminates all those fears from a potential buyer. Then it's just a question of how high the price will go on the bids.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

@phelda said:
    Wait, your hoping for an "uneducated buyer"? Why? Isn't the whole point of 3rd party authentication and grading to provide honesty, transparency and facilitate a smooth transaction for both buyer and seller. Not grading it is certainly your option, but don't be surprised if a buyer is unhappy with your assessment of the card. I also don't see the upside in waiting for an "uneducated buyer" to bid the item up, when all of the educated buyers will avoid the card and bid on an authenticated one that is graded. Do you want to make a disappointed customer? I know I'm sounding harsh and pompous, but come on. Rolling the dice and hoping to get "4" money on a "2" card?

"As you can see, it's very sharp,{ It's not sharp at all, it has extensive corner damage} but has a surface wrinkle {Its a lot more than a surface wrinkle, its significantly creased, essentially folded} on front that doesn't go through to back {Yes, the wrinkle does go all the way through the card}."

I just hope you describe the card better than this when you decide to sell it ungraded.

How better do you suggest he describe it? I said to disclose the wrinkle, other than pictures what else do you suggest the seller do? If someone wants to "Gamble" on getting a raw card off Ebay ( Which there are MANY ) why do you sound so empathetic for these buyers? If the OP discloses that it has a wrinkle and offers clear pictures then I see nothing wrong with him doing exactly that, a buyer can receive a graded card and be an unhappy buyer and return it just as easy. Its his card to do whatever he choses and if he decides to not go through the month plus wait time plus grading fees ( which will cut right into his bottom line ) I dont think its a bad play at all.

• Options

@CARDSINLOSANGELES said:
    ok. besides the hornets nest i inadvertantly stirred up here, letting everyone know that i just sent it off to psa on my renewal voucher. guessing a 2, but a guy can dream.

No hornets nest...we're offering our opinions and then of course it's your call what to do. I think ya made the right choice.

I think your guess is probably right - it's probably a 2. Who knows...hopefully ya get lucky and it receives a 3. In any event, still a nice piece of change when ya sell it.

An alternative to Ebay, to save the Ebay fees, is to offer it here on the Buy, Sell & Trade forum. You have smarter buyers here versus the Ebay masses, and therefore less likelihood of a return. That being said, listing it right after Thanksgiving on Ebay, could get you a bump in the "normal price" because of holiday shoppers looking to buy a very nice present for their card collecting loved ones. All depends on how quickly you would like the cash.

• Options

Nice card. It should sell for more than the grade usually gets. Very nice eye appeal.