Home U.S. Coin Forum

Who are the Franklin half fans?

2»

Comments

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nicely toned (NT) franklin is cool.
    They have size, they are silver, and they were actually used in commerce....and included in mint sets. So, they aren't scarce, but they aren't 100% BU, by design, either.

Have a dansco of BU franklins, part of a dansco of toned franklins (as I found them, in the wild and affordable).
    Have some slabbed ones as well. Sold one of my best toned ones years ago on the forums. The ones from the double mint set years can tone very nicely.

As for varieties? Usually not my thing. Have to be dramatic, easy to see with the bare eyes, for me.

The nice thing about most people not likely them, as a series, is that the prices have stayed lower than many other coins.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• santinidollarsantinidollar Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 4, 2018 4:38PM

I like Franklin proofs. Overall, I think the coin has a simple, standout design.

• kazkaz Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few, I like them with some toning.

• I haven't started a business strike set just yet, but I do have an almost full set of Proofs graded PF 65 Cameo or better. All I need to complete is 1950 in Cameo. I have a 1950 in PF 66, but I need a cameo.

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've done the proofs in cameo (see the album in my sig line), but also picked up a few mint set toners, and a bugs bunny or two. I do not consider myself a Franklin collector.

My biggest score was finding a '61 DDR in an unopened proof set.

Second biggest score was this license plate on the Ohio Turnpike in 2006

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• MaineJimMaineJim Posts: 746 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like them and have a circulation set I put together from CRH finds. It took a couple years of searching a lot of boxes but was a fun set to complete.

Jim

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can ring my bell. There's one place in today's society where crack don't bother me at all.

HE>I

• DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first completed silver coin set! I love em'. Multiple sets. High grade down to VF.

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

They do tone nicely.

Where's the HepKitty LucyBop when you need her? She loves old baldy, and had(s)\\ some real beauties..

• RarityRarity Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭

A proud owner of this 1955 Franklin which still has not seen the sunlight since 63 years ago :)

• AuroraBorealisAuroraBorealis Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ronyahski said:

I like toners.

Rony those 3 are all very nice but that 48P is AWESOME!

One of my additions...

• georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

@ebaytrader said:
    They do tone nicely.

Where's the HepKitty LucyBop when you need her? She loves old baldy, and had(s)\\ some real beauties..

Ha ha! She sure did! What a class act she was! I miss her a lot.

She had one of the PCGS 1953-S MS65FBL coins that I always felt was a MECHANICAL ERROR. The coin was a no-way FBL and it got out. Everybody that handled it, including one of our illustrious forumites and later, the USA's most accomplished TV coin huckster, pretended it had great bell lines. A classic retell of THE EMPERORS NEW CLOTHES story.

Always wondered just how many of the OTHER 1953-S FBLs are MECHANICAL ERRORS. I know I received one from PCGS once. But a few days later PCGS realized the error and asked that I return the coin to them for de-FBLing. So it happens...

• rln_14rln_14 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

I have a frankie album going, uncirculated, white coins, i think a few r getting a little album toning going

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file