Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A country within a country

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually a principality they pay no Australian taxes

http://www.principality-hutt-river.com/Principality Downloads/CAB Article Nov 2013.pdf

I recently bought a 1976 $ 100 proof coin 999 fine gold. 500 minted .

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

Amazing, 12 citizens, wheat farmers. Leave them be! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting article.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can't just sneeze at gold or pooh-pooh it, but Hutt River Province isn't listed in the Standard Catalog of World Coins.

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a Hutt River Desert Storm Apache Helicopter $5.00, there is quite a series of different types of tanks, trucks, planes & ships used in the conflict, they were like a gimmicky mail order item at the time, I think the wife got it for me because I like helicopters

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few HRP "coins" but IO don't think any other countries recognize it as a legitimate state, sort of like Sea Land.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

As "micronations" go they actually have more land area than a couple of recognised nations - Vatican City and Monaco.

Unrecognised countries in E. Europe are fairly common - I have been to two of them, the Donets'k Peoples Republic ex Ukraine and Transdniester ex Moldova. The latter one was a rather sneaky detour because it was an easier way to get to the southern part of Ukraine near Romania.

Transdniester is the 1st "country" to issue plastic coins, otherwise it is unremarkably 1950s style Soviet Union with communist symbols everywhere.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually it is in Krause, but in the Unusual Coins Edition....

Country within a country, hmm kind of like California - but there they pay the taxes that support all of those lovely "red" states. Long live and may it come again the Republic of California.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

I had bought their "circulation coins" a long back after reading an article about them in the newspaper. They look really cool. They are good at marketing their place and it seems the middle of nowhere in Western Australia has turned out to be a tourist spot!

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2018 7:04PM

@7Jaguars said:
    Actually it is in Krause, but in the Unusual Coins Edition....

Yes, these have KM-X### catalog numbers.

I actually think Unusual World Coins is now out of print.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Funny thing about our hosts, they catalogued some of the INA fantasy issues and slabbed them despite not being in any catalog. They said these were to be included in the next Unusual coins Cat., but when I called Krause they said NONE are projected.

The reason I brought that up is that I have three of the Gold crowns struck by INA that I bought in the Spink 2001 Patina sale which THEY WILL NOT SLAB even though they will slab the silver versions (two of the Wyon George slaying dragon and a gold Wreath crown). Yikes, don't understand the logic other than I am not a bit enough fish when it comes to submitting.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Namvet69 said:
    Amazing, 12 citizens, wheat farmers.

I just decided on my first lowball set project!

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

I like it!

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

One suspects the back taxes owed Australian and the territorial governments far exceed the value of the farmland.

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the problems of being diplomatically challenged is that anyone can issue "coins" in your name, and there's not much you can do about it, because you're not really seen as "legitimate", either. The coin posted by bidask is "genuine HRP". But the coin posted by OldEastside is not.

The "Desert Storm" and other large series of "coins" issued in the name of the Hutt River Province in the early 1990s were not authorized by Prince Leonard, or the "legitimate government" of the HRP. Prince Leonard had authorized a good friend, "Prince Kevin", to market HRP coins in America, However, on arrival in California, Prince Kevin contacted the Continental Coin Company (which used the pseudonym "New Queensland Mint" on their HRP coins, presumably to make them sound more Australian) and began to mass-produce and mass-market his own "coins", without Prince Leonard's knowledge or consent. Kevin also made a fortune selling bogus knighthoods, doctorates and other honours.

Continental were eventually sued by the USPS for mail fraud and shut down - the case being that the "coins" claimed to be "legal tender" were not in fact coins nor legal tender anywhere, as Hutt River Province was not a real country. "Prince Kevin" died before his plans to create a rival Hutt River government on a remote pacific island could come to fruition.

Prince Kevin's coins are far more common today that Prince Leonard's coins, especially in America. The HRP government has since embraced these "rebel" coins and I believe there are several examples now on display in the royal coin collection. Prince Leonard himself is now in his nineties and has abdicated the throne, handing over to his son Prince Graeme.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2018 4:51AM

@Sapyx said:
    One of the problems of being diplomatically challenged is that anyone can issue "coins" in your name, and there's not much you can do about it, because you're not really seen as "legitimate", either. The coin posted by bidask is "genuine HRP". But the coin posted by OldEastside is not.
    [...]
    Prince Kevin's coins are far more common today that Prince Leonard's coins, especially in America. The HRP government has since embraced these "rebel" coins and I believe there are several examples now on display in the royal coin collection.

So, the Price Kevin coins weren’t legit when they were made but are now considered legit?

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably not "legit" in terms of being "legal tender" (just in case someone ever turns up with a suitcase full of the things and demands full face value in Australian dollars for them). But "legit" in the sense of being a part of HRP's history.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)