Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Authentic mantle auto?

Comments

• swish54swish54 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not Mantle expert, but I don't think he normally adds his number? Maybe the person asked and he did it, idk. Just an observation.

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭

Hmph. Makes me glad I don't collect autos -- far too difficult to avoid the landmines. A shame though, as there are some I'd enjoy owning. Unless you can get it in person....

• coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

i went online and looked at a bunch of certified mantle autos and none of the ones i saw had the letter i in mickey written like the ball above. the ball above has the i with an open look...the certified ones all have the letter i closed.

if that makes any sense.

• pheldaphelda Posts: 207 ✭✭✭

I vote no good. The "i" and the "c" usually don't loop like that, if at all. The "y" is one fluid motion on the real ones. This appears to stop and start. The giant loop in the "M" for Mickey tends to (not always of course), be pointed at the tip, this one is very rounded. Notice the second "M" how it comes to a point, the other "M" should be similar. Its tough, because his autograph was so consistent, many of the characteristics on this one look similar, but giving it an overall look it just seems off to me. Plenty of authentic autos available, grab a graded one and save the stress.

• maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

@phelda said:
    I vote no good. The "i" and the "c" usually don't loop like that, if at all. The "y" is one fluid motion on the real ones. This appears to stop and start. The giant loop in the "M" for Mickey tends to (not always of course), be pointed at the tip, this one is very rounded. Notice the second "M" how it comes to a point, the other "M" should be similar. Its tough, because his autograph was so consistent, many of the characteristics on this one look similar, but giving it an overall look it just seems off to me. Plenty of authentic autos available, grab a graded one and save the stress.

That is what I saw too, multiple stop and starts. There is a stop and start in the "c" that is not seen in any of the Mantle autos I have ever seen. Even the crossing of the "t" looks forced and inconsistent with his other autos.

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Send in the PSA and see what happens

• CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

What's weird about this one is that I think the Mantle looks good, while the Mickey does not. Weird.

• LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

He was drunk a lot and it's an uneven surface ;)

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it is good, Mickey was drunk when he signed it.

Maybe he was drinking Jack Daniel's Old No. 7.

Steve

• Looks authentic to me. And Mantle did inscribe his # or other inscriptions from time to time.

Not sure what flags others are seeing to call it no good.

• Bear48Bear48 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

Authenticity questionable

• Looks good to me. Not his best efforts, but it looks legit. Nice ball.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2018 5:21PM

If Shelley says it’s good it’s 100% good.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.