Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

REA Observations/Chat - '52 Topps Mantle PSA 6 - 100k Already

DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Talk about the premium for rare centering. Knew at first sight this specimen would bring out some spirited bidding right out the gate. Would rather have this 6 in my collection than a poorly centered 7/8. Impressive showing even if it doesn't get another bid.

https://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=51591

The 1914 CJ Matty is also really impressive, both the card and its price with so much time left.

The signed green Goudey Ruth is also off the chain.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

Comments

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw this card when it was brought up to PSA while waiting on line.

Agree Matt - thought it presented way better than the 6 assigned.

Mike
  • psychumppsychump Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Who wants a drunk that drove in 100 runs 4 times in 18 seasons.

Tallulah Bankhead — 'There have been only two geniuses in the world. Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare.'
  • bammerbbbammerbb Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

I'd love, drool, and lust to have that card in my collection. I've seen other cards grading 6 in various sets and they are better cards than most people think. The Mantle card is a super beautiful card.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would take that 6 over a lot of 7’s and 8’s I’ve seen. Beautiful card

• I noticed the signed Ruth goudeys...Was wondering why the other Ruths are cut-off??? You know the bottom red section.

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is one fine looking '52T Mantle.

Daniel
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭✭

The cards without the sigs are cool.

• CooptownCooptown Posts: 397 ✭✭✭

@thesouthdoesitagain said:
    I noticed the signed Ruth goudeys...Was wondering why the other Ruths are cut-off??? You know the bottom red section.

The owner of many of the HOF signed cards in this lot was featured by PSA:

https://psacard.com/Articles/ArticleView/9189/collector-profile-signed-up-challenge

He's active on some message boards (although I am not sure this one?) and is trying to liquidate for an upcoming investment. From the article: One of the pioneers of collecting signed 1933 Goudeys was a man named John Laity. He grew up in New York in the 1930s and he would have the players sign their cards when they exited subway trains at the ballpark stops. Cards from his collection are easily identifiable because he drew a red line on them to indicate to the players where he wanted them to sign. Unfortunately, he also trimmed off the "Big League Chewing Gum" banners from the bottoms of the cards. But, to me, that seems to be a small price to pay for such impeccable provenance.

I have followed him assemble this collection on sportscollectors.net, and while I have never met him nor have seen these cards in person, I am sad to see them divided up and sold. Weird.

• Good info. I read something about these signed cards over n54. Think he is the guy named Jasonxmay, maybe its the same guy?? http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=260852

Collecting RC's (mostly 40-60's)
  • 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

My buddy owned a card shop in 1990. I remember a guy coming in with a complete 52 set in a binder wanted to sell it. He was asking $25k when the price then was around $40k. My buddy is a millionaire but he passed. I didn’t have $25 let alone $25k. Obviously this was before grading was universal. The Mantle was sharp, slightly off center. In today’s world I’d say 6.5 maybe 7. The set was about the same. 😔

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I would take that 6 over a lot of 7’s and 8’s I’ve seen. Beautiful card

Agreed. It's now at 132k all in.

Instagram: mattyc_collection