Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Question about JM Lubary Argentinian medals

My LCS has maybe five of these silver Medals, all different, by JM Lubary. He is selling them for 20/Troy oz. I paid around $30. for this one. I wasn't sure if I paid too much.
Did I? If not, would you recommend buying the others? I liked them all, but did not want to overpay as this is not an area I have much knowledge in.

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to create a collection dedicated to this medallist, I certainly would purchase any available at a reasonable price. I have found that silver medals are more difficult to come by, probably because they end up as melt.
    Back in 2004, I thought about putting together a collection of Argentinian medals. Bronze Lubary medals went for under $30, normally.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@harasha Thank you for that information. The next time I get to that LCS, I will take a closer look at the rest if they are still there. This one is labelled Plata on the edge. I will have to check if the others were all silver as well.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have found Argentinian medals are often silver-plated rather than silver. So be careful.

Glad that in this case, the edge marking made it clear.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

¡Ay caramba este es muy bonita!

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

@SaorAlba said:
    ¡Ay caramba este es muy bonita!

Glad you like it. I agree

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's certainly nice looking!

• Options

I just went back to that LCS. Someone had bought all of them.

The owner's son had offered to hold them for me but I told him not to.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Put a magnet on the one you have, just to be sure. Otherwise nice medal. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    Put a magnet on the one you have, just to be sure. Otherwise nice medal. Peace Roy

It passed the magnet test. But you saying that has me kicking myself for not doing it before.

When I went back to that LCS and was told that someone bought the others, I was also told that they tested them there and they were all 92.5. Of course, I didn't see it done. I'll take mine in and have him check it for me just to be safe.

Thank you for the advice!!

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice, congratulations !!! :)

Timbuk3