Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Where can I find a current listing of PCGS recognized Cherrypickers' varieties?

...or a current list of excluded, debunked, and delisted varieties?

Comments

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DoughDeo
    Is this different than variety list ?

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• Options
    edited October 4, 2018 1:43PM

Variety Attribution: PCGS will attribute select varieties. To submit coins, verify particular coin is recognized under this program by referring to the list below. You may submit raw, regrade and crossover coins. Turnaround time is not guaranteed but we will make every effort to return the order in the time specified.

What varieties does PCGS recognize?
    PCGS recognizes the following varieties:

Half Cents (1793-1857) by Cohen numbers
    Large Cents (1793-1814) by Sheldon numbers
    Large Cents (1816-1857) by Newcomb numbers
    Half Dimes (1794-1837) by Logan/McCloskey numbers
    Dimes (1796-1837) by John Reich Society numbers
    NEW Liberty Seated Dimes (1837-1891) by Fortin numbers
    Quarter Dollars (1796-1838) by Browning numbers
    Half Dollars (1794-1836) by Overton numbers
    Capped Bust Reeded Edge Half Dollars (1836 – 1839) by the Dick Graham (GR) numbers
    Liberty Seated Half Dollars by Wiley-Bugert (WB) number
    Dollars (1794-1804) by Bolender and Bowers/Borckardt numbers
    Morgan and Peace Dollars (1878-1935) by VAM numbers (Includes TOP 100, HOT 50, and Hit List 40; see list)
    Gold Quarter Eagles, Half Eagles and Eagles (1795-1834) by Bass/Dannreuther numbers
    Fivaz-Stanton Varieties from the Cherrypickers Guide, Fourth Edition Vol. II and Fifth Edition Vol. I (see list for exclusions)
    What is a VAM?
    VAM is an acronym for the authors of the Comprehensive Catalog and Encyclopedia of Morganand Peace Dollars, Leroy Van Allen and A. George Mallis. In their book, they identified and assigned a VAM number for each of the different die pairs used to strike Morgan and Peace dollars. In all there are over 3,000 different VAM numbers.

What VAMs does PCGS recognize?
    PCGS will attribute 317 Morgan and 52 Peace dollar varieties. Click here for a complete listing.

Why not do all of the 3,000 VAMs?
    Most of the VAMs are not significant and do not bring a premium over the common variety. The varieties that PCGS will do have been identified by variety collectors as worthy of specific recognition. They are listed in: The Top 100 Morgan Dollar Varieties: The VAM Keys; SSDC Official Guide to the Hot 50 Morgan Dollar Varieties; The Official Guide to the Top 50 Peace Dollars; The 1878 Morgan Dollar 8-TF Attribution Guide; The VAM book, Comprehensive Catalog and Encyclopedia of Morgan and Peace Dollars and The Official Guide to The Morgan Dollar Hit List 40..

What does the service cost?
    The cost is $18 added to the level of service utilized. For example, if you chose a Regular service level ($32/coin) plus variety attribution, your grading fees would come to $50. Crossover submissions are acceptable. Show Service is not available. To add a variety to an already graded PCGS coin, the cost is $18 plus the corresponding reholder fee if the customer is not requesting a grading service level. The same fees apply to dealers adding this service to their orders.

May I mix Varieties with non-varieties on my PCGS submission?
    Yes. On the submission form under the variety column, indicate the specific coin variety being requested for each coin and check off the variety box provided. Reference question five above for further details in calculating cost per coin.

Is the Variety Attribution guaranteed?
    Yes.

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

• Options

Fivaz-Stanton Varieties from the Cherrypickers Guide, Fourth Edition Vol. II and Fifth Edition Vol. I (see list for exclusions)

PCGS Exclusions from the Fourth edition Vol. II and Fifth Edition Vol. I of the Cherrypickers' Guide
    If the coin is recognized by the main reference for the series, e.g. VAM, Overton, Browning number, it will not be listed by FS number.

The following Fivaz-Stanton numbers will not be recognized by PCGS:

Series FS Number Date Reason
    Indian Cent FS-010.5 1888 Delisted
    Lincoln Cent FS-034.1 1980-D Delisted
    Buffalo Nickel FS-014.89 1914/3-S Unable to Verify
    Mercury Dime FS-101 1937 Too Minor
    Walking Lib. FS-101 1942 Master Die
    Walking Lib. FS-101 1942-D Master Die
    Walking Lib. FS-101 1942-S Master Die
    Walking Lib. FS-101 1943 Master Die
    Walking Lib. FS-101 1943-D Master Die
    Walking Lib. FS-101 1943-S Master Die
    Morgan Dollar FS-004 1896-O Counterfeit
    Morgan Dollar FS-005 1900-O Counterfeit
    Morgan Dollar FS-003 1902-O Counterfeit
    SBA Dollar FS-501 1980-S Unable to Verify

LINKS: :smile:
    https://www.pcgs.com/varietyfaq
    https://www.pcgs.com/cherrypickerexclusions

• Options

@DoughDeo
    Hope those links help :smile:

• Options
    DoughDeoDoughDeo Posts: 64 ✭✭✭

Thank you @1630Boston, but those links don't get to accurate or complete information. (I wish it was that easy). :/

For instance, PCGS recognizes some - but not all - varieties new to the 6th edition of Cherrypickers' Volume 1. Some of the 6th edition varieties were recognized at some point, but aren't now.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go to a "complete" variety registry set of what you are trying to collect and look at the coins listed. It will also list some of the most current debunked ones. If you have a question about Lincoln cents, I or someone else can help you.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 4, 2018 2:25PM

I don't know of a list, but I simply use the pop report.

Go to each series you want to study. If there is a variety for that date/mm there will be a box with an x in it to the left of the date (actually to the left of the coin number).

Click on that box and you will see the variety and the populations.

I hope this is helpful

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WaterSport said:
    Go to a "complete" variety registry set of what you are trying to collect and look at the coins listed. It will also list some of the most current debunked ones. If you have a question about Lincoln cents, I or someone else can help you.

WS

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This is the easiest route if you are familiar with the registry set layouts.
    Any series with a “complete variety” designation will have all applicable (and some debunked varieties with a red asterisk*)

• Options
    DoughDeoDoughDeo Posts: 64 ✭✭✭

Thank you @WaterSport .

Unfortunately, the buffalo nickel list might be incomplete. It is definitely inconsistent with information from customer service.
    Buffalo nickel: This set is a work in progress. As new varieties are recognized, they may be added to the set. Likewise, delisted varieties will no longer be required.

The Lincoln list appears to be in better shape.
    Lincoln Cents : "This is the complete Lincoln cent set which contains all of the Fivaz/Stanton varieties graded by PCGS."

Outstanding set, by the way.

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another rule-in, rule-out source is Coinfacts.

• Options

@DoughDeo said:
    Thank you @1630Boston, but those links don't get to accurate or complete information. (I wish it was that easy). :/

For instance, PCGS recognizes some - but not all - varieties new to the 6th edition of Cherrypickers' Volume 1. Some of the 6th edition varieties were recognized at some point, but aren't now.

That's from their site, I think that is what they currently do.
    Perhaps a direct contact with PCGS would yield the most up to date info, when you receive it please post it so that we all know, thanks
    Boston :smile:

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some good info here. Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file