Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

In light of the 69 Mantle PSA 10 discussion

Interesting comments and the point was made about keeping the card instead of selling it for $100k and making it the cornerstone of a collection. Interesting thought and got me thinking - if you had $100k and could grab one card to be the cornerstone of your collection what card in what grade and why?

To expand on this since many collectors cannot fathom a $100k card what would be your cornerstone card at the following values:

$10k
$25k
$50k
$100k

KC

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would go with a proven hall of famer with mine. the 50-100k cards are the unfathomable ones for me and I would go with either the best grade Clemente or Mantle rookie I could find, or maybe I would try for the high grade quintuplet of t206 cobbs

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

$10k - Best looking '85 OPC PSA 10 Lemieux I could find

$25k - The pop 1 1970 PSA 10 OPC Perreault RC. (Only because I think it might take that much or more to make it happen)

$50k - Best PSA 9 1979 OPC Gretzky I could find

$100k - The pop 1 PSA 9 1967 Topps Bobby Orr. Unfortunately if I had to bet that might night get it done today.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOTS, I love the hockey input, thanks.

How has the Mario rookie done over the last 5 years? I ask because I never picked one up and I would like to add one to my collection.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2018 12:08PM

@Cakes said:
    LOTS, I love the hockey input, thanks.

How has the Mario rookie done over the last 5 years? I ask because I never picked one up and I would like to add one to my collection.

It's one of the few hockey cards that was really caught up in the 2016 pump. It doubled in price in less then 8 months from $10k to $20k. It has since retreated back south of $10k. It's a pop 45 currently. I never tracked pops on it so I'm not sure how quickly it's been going up. I would think it may go down a bit more but I doubt that you'll see it dip below $8k again unless the pop explodes or cards in general have a big dip.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    SpinFadeSplash23SpinFadeSplash23 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2018 1:22PM

$10k - Best PSA/DNA autographed Mike Tyson RC I could find
    $25k - Best PSA/DNA autographed Michael Jordan RC I could find
    $50k - Best PSA/DNA autographed Mickey Mantle RC I could find
    $100k - Best PSA/DNA autographed Babe Ruth RC I could find

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 3, 2018 3:19PM

These numbers would definitely be investment money...and therefore I would want to be diversified into baseball, football, basketball, and hockey.

$100k... '52 Topps Mickey Mantle
    $50k...'65 Topps Joe Namath
    $25K...'69/'70 Topps wax pack w/Lew Alcindor showing on the top of pack (BBCE has it up for sale...cool item!)
    $10k...'79 OPC Wayne Gretzky

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

$10k - 2009 Bowman Chrome Mike Trout auto refractor #/500 PSA 9 (closer to an $8k card) - unless he gets hurt will be the best baseball player post WWII
    $25k - 1979 OPC Gretzky PSA 9 - greatest hockey player of all time
    $50k - 2000 Playoff Contenders Tom Brady auto PSA 9 (closer to $40k card) - greatest QB in history
    $100k - 1980 Topps Bird/Magic PSA 10 - HOF RC card of the two players that catapulted the NBA into the modern era

I have no interest in vintage.

Robb

• Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

$100k... 52 Topps Mantle PSA 6
    $50k...53 Topps Mantle PSA 8 (this is my all-time favorite card)
    $25K...86 Fleer Michael Jordan PSA 10
    $10k...79 Topps Gretzky PSA 9

Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOTS,

Thanks for the input. I really need a nice one for my collection but it looks like I will have to drop down to the PSA 9 realm.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

$100k - I would go with the best centered 52 Mantle I could find.
    $50k - Best 1915 CJ Shoeless I could find centered
    $25k - centered PSA 8 Aaron rookie
    $10k - 56 Mantle centered

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

Mantle at every level

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the unlikely event of lottery win, eclectic choices based on favorites(Rickey), those I'm named after(Alworth) and players I have huge respect for (Mays / Dryden).

up to 100K - highest grade Willie Mays 51 B rookie I could find. 9's out of that range now?
    up to 50 K - 80 Topps Rickey PSA 10.
    up to 25K - I'll slot the only 63 Fleer PSA 10 Alworth here. Difficult to say though. Would probably get it done. But not many freshly graded 1963 Fleer PSA 10 Bambi's are gonna be walking out of PSA anytime soon.
    up to 10K - Uhhh....1971 OPC Ken Dryden PSA 10 maybe? The last few may have went for 10k +, not certain.

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭✭

Like others have said, and this is an easy answer, for a cornerstone card at each of those price points, I'd get the '52 Topps Mantle that I don't have. I don't "think" it'll ever get to the point where 10K will still only buy you an "ugly" one, but if that were to come to pass, I'd get a nice Aaron rookie (that I also don't have.) I'd consider either of those to be a cornerstone. A '51 Mays/'51 Mantle would be also, but I have examples of those two.