Home Sports Talk
Options

MLB: let the kids play

TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

Great ad, great message. Unwritten rules are dumb. Give me more bat flips, screaming in celebration of a key strikeout, flexing after a monster homer, wagging of a tongue, dancing, chest bumps - all of it. Baseball is still the same magical game, but these kids don’t mind letting their personality shine. I’m totally good with that.

Thoughts? Are you an unwritten rules guy?Does it piss you off when these kids “disrespect the game”? Or are you cool with guys having fun playing a game?

https://youtu.be/VZfEv4JqxHQ

Comments

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might liven up the game a bit. Showing legitimate emotions never was of a concern to me. Just never cared for throwing at someone, especially at/near the head. One day one of those "purpose pitches" just may get loose from it's intended "soft" target and do some major damage to someone.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

unwritten rules are super douchey . They better let them play , the news said attendance was down this year across the board. Keep up the stupid rules and the 4 hour games and it won't matter cuz no one will be watching.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree that the unwritten rules are in some way stupidly ridiculous. BUT at the MLB level it’s not about fun it’s about winning.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read a book around 5 years ago called "The Baseball Codes: Beanballs, Sign Stealing and Bench Clearing Brawls. It was an interesting and entertaining read. I'd recommend it!

Daniel
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

I coach my 9yo across 4 sports; baseball, basketball, football and soccer. My message to them is to feel free to celebrate their achievements and victories, so long as it's alone and/or with each other. The moment anything is directed at an opposing player or team, they can expect a conversation and bench time.

Score a TD, you can spike the ball, do a dab, high five your teammates...all good. Spike it at an opponents feet while staring them down...bench. Talk smack in a handshake line...bench.

For the pros, I'm ok with the bat flip...if you're watching the ball. Flip it while staring at the pitcher, and I'd say don't whine when the retribution comes your way.

I'm all for fun but I despise unnecessarily motivating other teams. Keep it personal or with teammates. Do unto others...

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vintagefun said:
    I coach my 9yo across 4 sports; baseball, basketball, football and soccer. My message to them is to feel free to celebrate their achievements and victories, so long as it's alone and/or with each other. The moment anything is directed at an opposing player or team, they can expect a conversation and bench time.

Score a TD, you can spike the ball, do a dab, high five your teammates...all good. Spike it at an opponents feet while staring them down...bench. Talk smack in a handshake line...bench.

For the pros, I'm ok with the bat flip...if you're watching the ball. Flip it while staring at the pitcher, and I'd say don't whine when the retribution comes your way.

I'm all for fun but I despise unnecessarily motivating other teams. Keep it personal or with teammates. Do unto others...

I don't like bat flips but I do like your rules. Great way to delineate between acceptable and unacceptable.

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't know much about anything now. TV is maybe 4 quarters of college football a week and a bit of golf.

Caught the end of the Cub's game last night. Seemed that a batter was hit by pitch in the 13th inning and upon review it was called back.

They are calling back hit batters now?

Extra innings aside, no wonder the game went 5 hours.

• Options
    wrestlingcardkingwrestlingcardking Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭✭

I'm glad they called him back, he was not touched on that pitch and he knew it. The ump was hit with the pitch and couldn't make that call.

BUYING Frank Gotch T229 Kopec
    Looking to BUY n332 1889 SF Hess cards and high grade cards from 19th century especially. "Once you have wrestled everything else in life is easy" Dan Gable
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't mind any of those in the clip. They all looked good to me. I use to like the way Reggie Jackson use to just drop his bat and stand there for a few seconds and admire his monster blast. And there use to be a guy that would round the bases with one arm (flap) down. And some use to stare at the pitcher after the blast as they rounded the bases. It's all good. :)

• Options

@wrestlingcardking said:
    I'm glad they called him back, he was not touched on that pitch and he knew it. The ump was hit with the pitch and couldn't make that call.

In the name of surgical accuracy, we gain wretchedly slow cadence.

The 2 hour and 11 minute game of the sixties has become the 3 hour and 47 minute game of a half a century later.

• Options

Games have always been around 3 hours...…..come on man.

• Options

Time of game 1968 World Series vs 2016.

2:29---3:37
    2:41---4:04
    3:17---3:33
    2:34---3:16
    2:43---3:27
    2:26---3:29
    2:07---4:28*

*17 minute delay and ten innings.

• Options

Major League Baseball attendance dropped 4 percent this year, continuing a steady decline for “America’s Pastime.” It’s the lowest league-wide attendance since 2003 and the largest single-season drop in a decade.

What does that mean for a team’s bottom line? Bloomberg News crunched some numbers to get a better understanding. While some clubs saw a jump in attendance, 17 of the 30 franchises sold fewer tickets than they did last year. Using average ticket prices from Team Marketing Report, that comes to about $93.7 million in lost ticket revenue in 2018.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    Games have always been around 3 hours...…..come on man.

Go and watch Don Larsen's perfect game. The pace of play is ridiculous. Guy grounds out. Ball goes around the horn. In today's game, there would be another 30-60 seconds after that before the next pitch. In 1956, the next hitter was waiting in the box when the pitcher got the ball back after it went around. If that was done today, you'd shave 20+ minutes off every game.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

Frankly, the slogan "Let the kids play" just sounds a bit silly to me.

Calling MLB players "kids" just sounds a bit degrading for some reason.

I realize that baseball is sometimes called the "children's game" or whatever in a loving way. However at the Major League level, baseball is anything but that. It is highly skilled professional athletes getting paid huge amounts of money. It is big business and there's nothing childish about that.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its not my style, but let them stare at a home run, flip the bat etc.

What kind of sticks in my craw is the excessive celebrations. teams celebrate for winning their division, clinching a playoff birth, winning a wild card game, winning the division series and winning the lcs. come on. It is all super choreographed and nothing seems organic any more. It is all scripted, hang plastic in the clubhouse, hand out ski goggles to players as they enter etc. the goal is winning the world series. celebrate then.

oh yeah, I forgot, get off my lawn!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    Its not my style, but let them stare at a home run, flip the bat etc.

What kind of sticks in my craw is the excessive celebrations. teams celebrate for winning their division, clinching a playoff birth, winning a wild card game, winning the division series and winning the lcs. come on. It is all super choreographed and nothing seems organic any more. It is all scripted, hang plastic in the clubhouse, hand out ski goggles to players as they enter etc. the goal is winning the world series. celebrate then.

oh yeah, I forgot, get off my lawn!

The basic antics don't bother me, it's just the silly slogan that bothers me.

I agree that some of the antics go a bit too far to the possible detriment of the game. People often get tired of a clown act.

Different sport, but I agree with the football coach, i don't know who first said it, but stated to his players to stifle the end zone celebration antics, "Act as if you've been there before."

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, the slogan is idiotic. let the kids play, when they are kids, in little league.

I always appreciated Barry Sanders Style. run into the end zone, flip the ball to the ref and return to the sideline.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

Emmitt Smith had style also and did it MORE times than Barry! ;)B)

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

the mlb fights -- and i use that term very loosely -- that are oftentimes derived from these bush-league unwritten rules are the worst. sometimes i think they're incited just to give a group of grown men reason to grab as many asses as they want.

i guarantee you if someone intentionally and "justifiably" threw a 100-mph brick at me, once i came to i would speedy gonzalez my way to the mound and a melee of epic proportions would break out. there would be more haymakers, rabbit punches, spinning back kicks and rear-naked choke holds than any mma fight could ever produce

• Options

Did the Bo Sox just get done spanking Houston and punch their ticket to the WS?!