Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Set build and completion – 1954 Topps!

BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 29, 2018 10:42AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The ’54 Topps set is relatively easy to complete at 250 cards. The painful part in terms of dollars is Hank Aaron’s rookie card. I started this set in January of this year with a 115 card lot. I was aiming to collect it in lower grade (think approximately PSA 3) as that was what most of the cards in the lot were in.

Aside from Aaron, the rookie cards of Ernie Banks and Al Kaline will set you back (though not nearly to the extent of Aaron). Other key cards are Ted Williams (2 cards, #1 and #250), Willie Mays, Jackie Robinson and the Tom Lasorda rookie card. I decided to get the big three rookies as PSA cards and the others in ‘raw’ form.

One interesting thing I noted: The first half of the set (cards 1-115) contains sixteen hall of famers while the second half has only four (rookie cards of Aaron and Kaline (whom Topps could not know would become key players) and Lasorda, and Ted Williams’ second card in the set). I guess with the competition of Bowman, Topps wanted to wow the kids early in the season.

The set is quite colorful and was really fun to build. Set builders know getting that last card is always a rush. I just got the final card I needed, Bill Skowron, this week. Here are some pics of the key cards (and the great O’Brien twins card):

Daniel

Comments

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely one of my favorites. Part of what makes the set special is it is the first look of the headshots Topps mostly recycled for the next three years. Congratulations. I am sure it is a joy to own and look at. Great job!!

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

That is a cool project. Congrats on completing it. If I'm not mistaken, the O'Brien brothers card was the first ever depicting two players on one card? I might do this set one day, and and for cost savings, I picked up my Aaron at a flea market 34 years ago. Only about 230 cards to go ...

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done !!! An evenly matched set.

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Congrats. A great set to collect. Note the white band on May's forearm. A not uncommon print variant. Getting the first 50 cards in gray back if putting together a Superset is extremely difficult and economically painful

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations Daniel.

Mike
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing like completing a set. Congratulations. What's next?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

Always enjoy these threads Daniel - great job and congrats!

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats!!!

"EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options

Thanks for all the comments. Not sure what is next - I do like 1966 Topps but the high numbers would prove challenging. I'm sure my wife would like me to take a little break!

Daniel
  • Options

@bishop said:
    Congrats. A great set to collect. Note the white band on May's forearm. A not uncommon print variant. Getting the first 50 cards in gray back if putting together a Superset is extremely difficult and economically painful

I did notice the white on Mays' arm. I originally thought it was a scrape on the card but I did see there were a bunch on eBay with the same mark.

Daniel
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

I have fond memories of that set. Not hat. Was collecting it back then, but it was the first “old” set that I bought cards from. My Mom love going to flea markets and there was one where some had 54s that were in bad condition, but at a quarter a pice I didn’t care.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome set and awesome job!