Home U.S. Coin Forum

FAIR PRICE ? platinum eagle

1997 MS70 1/10 oz NGC graded

Comments

• bugbitbugbit Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

One sold on ebay on 8/21 for 169.50. Ebay recently sold is a nice reference for what people are willing to pay for something.

• yes, I can not find any sold. I was looking on PCGS coin facts for reference. 29 POP @ 2,100$. I see one for sale 779$. Seeing what others thoughts were.

• bugbitbugbit Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

@superemt1 said:
    yes, I can not find any sold. I was looking on PCGS coin facts for reference. 29 POP @ 2,100$. I see one for sale 779$. Seeing what others thoughts were.

All I did was search "1997 platinum 1/10" on ebay. Switch the search results to sold. I scrolled down to an ngc 70. Not saying you will find another for that price but definitely think you can do better than 779.

Ok the 169.50 was a PF70 not MS. Found an MS in july for 520 though. Sorry I just jumped at the 1st 70 on the screen.

• GoldminersGoldminers Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭✭✭

The NGC pop is 236. They will probably sell for much less than PCGS in this case looking at results and pops. Prices of these fractional platinum's in 70 have really dropped the past several years along with the platinum price.

If you want estimates for NGC auctions, values, pops go to NGCcoin and look at that price guide and be sure to toggle to the MS vs PF.

If it was a 1998 or 1999 PCGS MS70 I would be interested.

• batumibatumi Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

IMHO, I would just hang onto it for now. Plats are all but dead right now. I have several various issues, and have decided just to sit on them. Never understood, save for the plunging bullion price, most have very attractive designs along with the changing reverses along with some being really scarce. My guess, there have been just too many bullion issues-especially from 2006 on for most collectors to reasonably collect, not mentioning the whipping many got on 'perfect' 70 grades.

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

$450.00 or lower is where you’d wanna be at in this coin

• very good replies, thank you all. i agree w/ not much movment in platinum.

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 29, 2018 4:46PM

Spot, it's just bullion AFAIC.

@1madman said:
    $450.00 or lower is where you’d wanna be at in this coin

I wish I had a bushel full of these coins to sell at $450................SOLD!

I was very interested in platinum a few weeks ago at $780ish, kinda wished I pulled the trigger.

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my opinion, PCGS is grading the MS Plats tougher than they did at one time. I would have to see the actual coin, up close & personal to evaluate whether or not it has a ghost of a chance to cross over to PCGS at MS-70. If it looked like a 70 to my own eyes, I still wouldn't trust a crossover as a done deal, but if I really liked the coin's strike and clarity, I'd probably go as high as $550 or so. (But I'd REALLY have to like the coin).

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file